We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with days trips please!

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london,uk
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
help with days trips please!

hi iam traveling to taormina for the first week in august, whilst my partner and i will be ahppy to spend some time by the pool i wolud like to organise some days trips, i usually travel independantly but have booked with thomson i have looked at there day trips and the trip to etna with jeeps is about 58 pound pp, iam just wondering if it would be better to organise it when iam there, we also want to go to palermo.so really i just want to know how easy it is to book trips from there and will it be cheaper, thomson only have about 3 trips avalible and we would like to take in as much history and culture as possible, any suggestions would be great! thanks

1. Re: help with days trips please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2006, 13:06
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with days trips please!

Palermo is a very long day trip from Taormina, we did a nice organised trip a few years go to the Aeolian Islands a real nice day out, Stromboli which has a volcano, lots of iteresting things, another trip we did was to the caves of Alcantra visiting also these villages that seen to hang on to the sides of the mountains, so going back in time, We could not go to Etna was a bit dodgy at the time,

Taormina itself is really lovely.

london,uk
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with days trips please!

thanks, its about 90 euros, we wouldnt mind paying more if it was just the 2 of us, the cooking lesson sounds like a great idea! i know palermo is a long trip but my partner really wants to go! thanks for the suggestions.

4. Re: help with days trips please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2006, 13:06
london,uk
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with days trips please!

that would be great, karenlisamoore@hotmail.com. any ideas would be great.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with days trips please!

Etna trips from Taormina - shop around.

Thomas Cook charge 49euro, plus you pay 43euro for funivia and jeep - tour is 100% English language, and the hostess is very knowledgeable and entertaining. Trip runs 0815-1700ish

TUI charge 28euros, plus you pay 43euro for funivia and jeep, so if there are two of you that's a 42euro saving, but apparently you get to hear everything in three languages depending on the crowd you're with. Trip runs 0800-1630ish.

Both trips include Alcantara Gorge, which personally I could do without. 20 minutes off motorway, 60 mins there (30 would be ample), including a dodgy retail opportunity and loo stop (ladies queue for miles), 20 mins back to the motorway. The ladies queue was even longer at Etna, and they ran out of food half way through our busload. Why does the arrival of coaches at these "purpose built" facilities seem to take them by suprise?

The Thomas Cook trip includes a honey tasting, ie., dodgy retail opportunity and consumption of 30 further minutes. Not sure if TUI one does.

The above sounds negative, but actually it's a great day out. You can't go to Siciliy and not see Etna.

london,uk
Level Contributor
296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with days trips please!

Thanks thats really helpful, think i will wait till i get there and see whats on offer, we will definatley be going though.

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
91 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with days trips please!

two villages within half hour ish, where the Godfather was filmed are very atmospheric. F'orsa d'agro and Savoca. Both easily accessible by hire car and some organised excursions. Bar Vitelli in Savoca and church where wedding took place.

Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: help with days trips please!

Hi, re Palermo - we were staying near Cefalu on the north coast in July, so we were closer to Palermo and it was easier to visit. The old Norman area, (cathedral etc.) is definitely worth a visit, but otherwise we didn't rate it as one of our highlights. Also, like some cities, it was noticeably dirtier than other towns on the island. Overall, I would have to say it was a disappointment.

Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: help with days trips please!

Oops, you're probably there now! Let us know how you get on.