We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with transportation options to Taormina

Which Taormina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with transportation options to Taormina

We will be staying in Potenza and then traveling to Taormina. Would like to know the best options to get toTaormina in the early evening on the same day as we are departing.

1. Drive to Taormina by car even though we have heard horror stories about the condition of the autostrada?

2. Drive to Naples leaving Potenza very early AM in order to catch the 09:50am flight on Alitalia to Catania, renting a car and then to Taormina?

3. Is there ferry service from Naples to Messina and when does it run? Then car rental in Messina.

4. Is there a hydrofoil from Naples to Messina and when does it run? Then, car rental to Taormina?

5. Train?-although we have heard that it is not the most pleasant.

OR ???

Again, we would need to depart Potenza and arrive Taormina by early evening of the same day.

We are 4 seniors travelling together.

Thank you for helpful advise.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

blu-express only flies to Catania from Rome, no longer from Bari.

Volotea will fly from Bari to Catania in May.

Vagabonda

california
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

Vivohara, thank you. We have decided to fly. Dinner at Ducale sounds like a must. We have booked a ocean view villa in Taromina. Hopefully Ducale will still accomodate for dining without staying at the Hotel. We will see.

Again thank you for all your kind help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,229 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

Hi polkashorty,

I see from your other post that you will fly from Naples to Catania.

The restaurant at the Villa Ducale is not a proper restaurant, but for hotel guests only.

Vagabonda

Pittsburgh...
12 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

Just to clarify I am not from the area but I have been doing a lot of research because I am planning a trip for a wedding celebration. I have been sending these links to friends who will be traveling to Taormina.

There is a ferry from Naples to Catania overnight.

http://www.tttlines.it/en/

There is the overnight train from trenitalia that I took for the transfer many years ago. I left around 9-10pm in the evening and woke up to Taormina. It also leaves from Rome.

Then I found Easy Jet which has connections from Rome to Palermo and Naples to Catania for very reasonable pricing .

http://www.easyjet.com/en/

Many hotels offer transfers from Catania that I have found. We have booked at Medolia Beach Hotel because of location. It is on the beach, you have access to the beach club included in the price of the room and it is right near the cable car to the center of Taormina. For us this was something to consider so we had the beach day at our disposal. I have not been here but this is what I have found so far :) Good luck on all your planning and Taormina trip!

http://www.mendoliahotel.com

california
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

Thanks Vagabonda for the clarification. Your wealth of knowledge is much appreciated.

california
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

Kat, thank you for the valuable input. The links are great and a time saver for us to research our journey. Again thank you for your help and enjoy the wedding...what a great destination.

17. Re: Help with transportation options to Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 07:16