We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Eats - Taormina

Austin
Level Contributor
489 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Eats - Taormina

Well, it's almost here...and I'm still planning at the 11th hour. I think everything is pretty well in hand but thought to ask....

What are some recommendations for a place for my wife and I to celebrate her birthday?

We will be in Taormina and her birthday and it falls on a Sunday. The only place that comes to mind (because I don't know any differently) is Ristorante Al Saraceno. I have so far been unable to find out what days they are open...and if Sunday is an option. This restaurant is near Villa Angela...where we will be staying. So, is there another special spot with similar views or a special ambience....that also has great food....so I can make it a special night for her? TIA!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Eat on the terrace at the restaurant metropole bang in the centre of the Main Street by the square - perhaps the best view in Taormina, fine dining (think it still has a Michelin star), beautiful location and place, not crowded sometimes has live singer, upmarket, nice, romantic

Walk into the hotel just by the square and enquirer about a table - it's also great for cocktails on the terrace

Edited: 09 May 2014, 07:46
Austin
Level Contributor
489 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Sounds like a great spot...will be sure to take a look. Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Hi andiron and congrats to your wife on her special birthday!

Al Saraceno is not quite as upscale (or expensive) as the Bellevue at the Hotel Metropole, but the views from the terrace at Al Saraceno are fantastic, the staff is friendly, the food is delicious, and you could easily walk to and from Al Saraceno from the Villa Angela for an overall pleasant experience.

http://www.alsaraceno.it/en/

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187892-d1…

Hopefully the Bellevue has corrected its issues and recovered after some scathing reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187892-d3…

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

This thread discusses other options for a special occasion - Restaurant Help for Special Occasion:

tripadvisor.com/…42172782

Auguri!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,556 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Ristorante Al Saraceno is open every day of the week for lunch and dinner but Monday from 12.00 to 14.30 for lunch, and from 19.00 until midnight for dinner.

Vagabonda

Austin
Level Contributor
489 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Hi Vagabonda...glad to have your advice...and very thankful for all of your kindness! So...the big question I ask myself now...will we even be able to eat by the time we reach Taormina? We did a foodie tour today in Testaccio...Followed by two cones heaped with gelato...and thats just what I consumed.! Total gluttony! And then for dinner...pizza Bianca and Rosso...in Campo di Fiore...then afterwards...food from a new place...just open for a week...a very small place...but very friendly...insisting we try the best from different regions...wine from Montalcino, culatello, multiple cheeses and other salami...lasagne...all fantastic and I am quite sure any more and I will pop like a balloon! Oh...and I almost forgot....pistachio gelato from Calabria! Gelato today x 4. Quattro gelato is Italiano per "crazy tourist"! Having a great time...and look forward to crowning our trip in Taormina! Grazie...Buona Notte!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,556 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Well the pistachio from Calabria pales to our pistachio from Bronte on Etna, so you will have to compare for sure!

It's wonderful to hear that after all your planning you're having a great time!

Buonanotte andiron!

Vagabonda

Austin
Level Contributor
489 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

We are!...its not difficult...its Italia!

;-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,556 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

Enjoy andiron!

Vagabonda

9. Re: Birthday Eats - Taormina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 05:16