We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to be based

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
where to be based

Going to Tuscany in early June - where would anyone suggest we base ourselves for touring? We want to travel during the day but in the evening just walk out of hotel for stroll and nice restaurants/bars. Any suggestions welcome.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,727 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to be based

How do you intend to travel around Tuscany? If you have the freedom of a car then the choice is wide.

There is most to see and do in Florence but it is not car-friendly. However it is the centre of a good network of trains (check www.trenitalia.it - English version for train times) and of busses (check www.lazzi.it and www.comune.siena.it)

The second city is Siena which I would always rate as worth a visit and makes a good centre for touring central Tuscany.

My wife and I + car had a very pleasant week touring southern Tuscany using Pienza as our base and staying at Il Chiostro. A very small, very beautiful walled town in lovely country.