We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Under the Tuscan Sun

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Under the Tuscan Sun

I am planning a trip to take my mom to Italy for her first time. We've all seen Under the Tuscan Sun, and that is what she is hoping to see when we go. Meaning, the rolling hills, small town people, beautiful countryside. We will be in Rome first, then traveling to Tuscany, via Pisa, or Florence. Any suggestions, on where to stay? Or what to see and how to see it??

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Under the Tuscan Sun

I took my Mom there last summer. We stayed at the Villa Villoresi (www.villavilloresi.it), and it was charming. Family-run, frescoes from the 12th century, great food, countrified, but also not far from Florence, in Sesto Fiorentino. They have a pool, and are very helpful with suggestions, etc. You can email them at <cvillor@tin.it>. Tell them that Ellen recommended you if you decide on it.

Ironically, "Under the Tuscan Sun" was new in the theatres on our first weekend home, and it left both of us in tears. We kept saying "OMG we were just there!!" We went to Positano from Villa Villoresi, so we really were just there, between being on the same streets in Florence and then in the same spots in Positano too! We laughed, we cried, and then we bought the movie and watched it repeatedly afterward.

I hope you and your Mother enjoy every moment like we did,

El

N.Y.
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Under the Tuscan Sun

I was been in Tuscany in June 2004 with my family, and we've stayed in the beautiful Residenza d'Arte near Siena.This is the website: www.residenzadarte.comThe place is the essence of Tuscany, and it's a good place to discover all the most important cities Cortona, Siena, Montepulciano, etc....The price is good, and the rooms are big and particular and very clean. The view is amazing and the breakfast on the top of the hill it's the best part of the day.I hope you like it!Bye

3. Re: Under the Tuscan Sun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2005, 02:07
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Under the Tuscan Sun

Go to Tuscany anyway: it's not just tourists everywhere! (Except round cathedral in Florence maybe). We went at Easter to Rome and on to Tuscany and absolutely loved it. The countryside is as fabulous as people say. I saw the film afterwards and it brought it back (I'd already read the book). Filmed in Cortona I think.

We visited Siena (my favourite) Florence and also Lucca and Pisa both of which we liked. Pisa is nice and the Campo dei miracoli is beautiful, even though it's true the tower makes it touristy, but the baptistery and cathedral are beautiful inside too. We're even going back next month with other family members and adding Perugia and Assisi and San Gimignano this time. It'll be cold but quieter I expect.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Under the Tuscan Sun

If you want an italian experience do not stay in Florence. I was so disapponted this year because all we heard as we walked thru the streets was English,American and Australian. My husband is a 7 trip to Florence (mostly for business) veteran and couldn't believe the diference in the last 10 yrs (but mostly the last 3).

We moved down to stay in Pancole (just out of San Gimignano) we ate among the olive groves,drank local chianti and my children played with the locals.Communication was very interesting but they saw what I felt to be the true Tuscany. We were close enough to see Siena, Volterra etc but wound our way thru narrow back roads and stopped as we pleased.

Geneva
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Under the Tuscan Sun

I went to Tuscany with a bunch of friends. We used a walking & cycling holiday company LB Freedom tours. If you want to live in the little local villages, meet local people, taste wines and travel through the fantastic landscape, this is ideal. They took care of our luggage and booked our accomodation in family run hotels, and gave us bikes and route notes for us to discover the area. It was nice having the independence without having the worry of thinking about where to stay etc, and the families in the hotels were very welcoming and keen fill us in on things to do in the area and to introduce us to the local foods.