We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

Madison, Wis.
Level Contributor
278 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

Hi, I've searched the archives a bit and haven't found a specific queston on this - perhaps it's there, just can't find it. I've seen questions about 'where is the best home-base for a trip to Tuscany?' What we'd like to know - How easy/feasible to stay at one or two different locations in Tuscany, over a 10day period and not rent a car? We prefer train travel and would only take a bus if we had to.

Where would you base for a train-only vacation through Tuscany? to see several cities, take a wine tour, shop, relax etc.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

first thoughts are to stay at Lucca as the variation is there but how Toscano do you have to be.

Lucca to Florence/gafagnana/Cinque/Pisa etc allows greater diversity but a bit further to Chianti /Sienna.

Try Sienna for a second base or a smaller station/town on the way.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

If you stayed in Lucca for 5 days then you could maybe spend the other 5 days in Cortona?

Tuscany Italy
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

Re Cortona suggestion-lovely town, but train station is at the foot of the hill 5km away, so won't work for someone hoping to travel by train! Lucca would work well. Siena is lovely too, but train station a bit of a hike from the centre and bus travel would be your best bet from Siena eg: to Chianti area or south to Montalcino

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,487 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

Florence and Lucca?

Rome
Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

I would suggest Florence and Pisa or Florence and Lucca. Florence to Siena, Florence to Arezzo, Florence to Pistoia, Florence to Prato are all easily manageable by train.

Pisa to Lucca, Pisa to Volterra (yes , you can travel to Volterra by train + bus). Or else Lucca to Pisa, Lucca to Castelnuovo Garfagnana/perhaps Barga, Lucca to Pistoia.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

If you want to spend 4 days out of 10 catching trains and buses thats fine, but I believe the only way to see places in Tuscany and being able to relax and take your time to visit and photograph is to go by car. It is easy driving in Tuscany.

Buone Vacanze,

Jill

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

Catux,

There is no train station in Volterra. The closest you can get to Volterra is Saline di Volterra from Cecina, which is about 10 km from Volterra city. Or coming from Pisa the closest train station is at Pontedera.

Ciao

Jill

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

I like the suggestion of blending upper TUscany and lower Tuscany.

Of course Florence is an excellent base since all roads go through Florence. There are the best transport options available from here. However if you want to be based in a smaller city with a good train station and bus options right IN the city, I would really suggest the following:

Lucca

Arezzo

Siena (*train station is just outside of town but very easily reached by a constant bus that takes only a couple of minutes - don't let that concern you.)

Lucca and Arezzo have the train stations right in town - one is more northwest and one is more easterly in Tuscany region. You can see great cities from either of them via bus or train. SOme suggestions might be:

Lucca : Pisa, Cinque Terre, Volterra, Florence

Arezzo: Florence, Siena, Cortona, Assisi, Chianti region

Siena: Florence, Volterra, San Gimignano, Chianti region, Montalcino/Montepulciano

There are more of course, but thesee are some of my favorites that you can access easily from these locations. I also like these 3 because the cities themselves are interesting places to spend time in and have great shops, wines, food and historic sights and countryside scenery and views. Decide what cities you want to see and thenc choose the two towns that best center you for visiting them.

Ciao !LL

Madison, Wis.
Level Contributor
278 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

LubaLorine that is EXACTLY the answer i was looking for. You are a gem!

Thanks everyone,

Linda

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,170 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train-only (maybe bus) in Tuscany?

With 10 days, you can easily stay at two to three places. I think LL made great suggestions. In particular, I would pick:

Florence: The city has enough interesting sights to keep you there for a few days, and you will have many dining options. The view never tires. you can see Lucca, Pisa, etc very easily. Afterwards, you can easily head to my proposed second home base, Siena.

Siena: You get access to San Gim, Montalcino, Montepulicano, I think all of them by bus. Piazza del Campo is another sight that you can never get tired of.

As a third base, if you want to break things up a bit more, Lucca would be a great choice and easily reacheable from Florence.