We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dazed and very confused:HELP

bombay
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
dazed and very confused:HELP

I wanted to spend 5 days in tuscany with my 15 yr ols daughter.

Do not want to rent a car.

please advise where to stay where public transport is easily available and a hotel/villa that can arrange guided visits to nearby towns.......

thanks

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dazed and very confused:HELP

we took the train to San Gimignano, which I dont reccomend since we actually had to go to Pogginibosi (spelling??). It was 11 km away from the town and our hotel was 4 km from the town on the opposite side. We were able to secure a taxi for about 30 euros. There was a bus but it had limited service on sunday.

So I dont know. We should have rented a car...the drive there is amazing. Not too much traffic and lovely scenery.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,642 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dazed and very confused:HELP

Certainly a car is extremely useful in Tuscany as so many small towns are not on a railway line and the bus service may not be all that frequent.

I would suggest that you stay in one of the towns rather than try to find somewhere in the countryside where you will be handicapped without your own transport.

Florence has most to see and is a good place to go out by train to see such places as Pisa and Lucca or Siena. Check on www.trenitalia.it for train times and fares.

If you want somewhere smaller then Siena has a reasonable network of buses to take you to smaller places such as the very photogenic but very touristy San Gimignano. Tra-in is the major bus company serving Siena and its surrounding country.

The website www.communw.siena.it/train might be helpful

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dazed and very confused:HELP

I suggest you to stay in Florence, you could try to find an accomodation at Tourist House Ghiberti

( www.touristhouseghiberti.com)

bombay
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: dazed and very confused:HELP

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Do you think its okay for me to rent a car ,is it easy driving.

There is just me and my 15 yr old daughter.

New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: dazed and very confused:HELP

Get a good map, a very good map and get the best car you can afford, if you drive a stick everyday by all means get one. But if you are a novice get an automatic. That said there is no better way to see Tuscany than with a car.

Peace