We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping Wine

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping Wine

Has anyone bought and shipped wine to Massachusetts? We are traveling to Tuscany in July and I have heard that Mass. does not allow shipment of wine INTO the state. Also, is it customary to tip the tour guide? We have booked a wine tour with Rebecca and would like to know how other people have handled this. Thanks!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping Wine

We are from Ohio, so I have no information on shipping wine to MA.

However, we were in Italy for 3 weeks this past April and were planning on buying wine and shipping it home. We quickly changed our minds when we found out the cost of shipping. It was uniform everywhere we went - 120 euros for 6 bottles. That works out to about $25/bottle, which was too steep for the type of wine we wanted. We spent an average of 15 euros/bottle and carried home 6 bottles in our carryon luggage. It made no sense to us to spend more on shipping than the wine.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping Wine

We got back a few days ago, and found the same thing about shipping costs. We brought back 7 bottles each in our carry-ons with no problems (other than maybe some back problems).

Nashville
Level Contributor
181 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping Wine

We just returned from Tuscany and Rome on June 8. We shipped some things back from Florence from a Mail Boxes Etc store, and they balked at shipping any foodstuffs due to US Dept of Agriculture restrictions -- they have to declare contents on a manifest when they ship. I had read at another website, www.slowtrav.com, that UPS and Fed Ex will not deliver any package containing wine or liquor to a US residence -- federal law prohibits the delivery unless you have an alcohol import license (thank the liquor lobby for that one.) We brought back as carry on 7 bottles of wine, 2 liters of olive oil, and a wheel of aged pecorico toscano cheese from Pienza with no trouble. We had also gone to our favorite wine shop before the trip to check their prices, and only brought back some Brunello and extra good vintage Chianti that we knew were great deals. If you find a favorite vinyard, your wine merchant may be able to stock bottles -- ours has ordered vin santo since we got back.

Chicago
Level Contributor
369 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping Wine

The US Supreme court recently knocked down any wine importation rules to the states.

That doesn't cove the huge shipping cost tho!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping Wine

Just returned from two weeks in Tuscany. Was tempted to ship wine to PA and ended up abandoning the idea. It is simply cost prohibitive - between 100-120 Euros for 6 bottles. Instead we ended up bringing back in our suitcases 14 bottles - more than allowed but we preferred to run the risk of having the bottles confiscated rather than pay such steep shipping costs.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
310 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping Wine

Same story for us. Shipping is exorbitant, and the prices are comparable to what I would find in my local store. The only reason I could justify schlepping a half case of wine around was if it carried sentimental value or was unavailable at home. Otherwise, drink it while you are there! :D

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping Wine

Thanks to all. I guess we will just pack some bubble wrap and carry it home ourselves.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shipping Wine

Almost everyplace you buy wine will pack it in a cardboard box for you, so bubble wrap probably won't be necessary. We had two duffel bag carryons that each easily carried 6 or 7 boxed bottles of wine.

Magnolia, Tx.
Level Contributor
57 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shipping Wine

Thx to all with your comments. My husband & I are spending this Sept. in Italy, mostly Tuscany, and were thinking about shipping or bringing back wine, as well. We'll plan for extra room in carry-ons or buy another one while there to bring back as many bottles as we can. (When in the Mosel and Rhine areas of Germany 4 yrs. ago, we had the same shipping cost problems, altho we found an abbey in Ettal that will ship their Ettaler liqueurs directly to us --Texas -- by mail. Have ordered several shipments since then, and all came with no problems or breakage via U.S. Mail. Their direct shipping costs were affordable for a case, so we order 1 case every year.)

10. Re: Shipping Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:20