We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Pisa to Montepulciano

st. paul, mn
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Pisa to Montepulciano

Any tips on the best way to get from here to there?

I would prefer train, but can try by moped/auto as well.

Also---suggestions about moped rentals in the area?

Thank you.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,726 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Pisa to Montepulciano

You will probably need to go via Florence. Pisa to Florence 91km. (56 miles); Florence to Montepulciano 119 km. (74 miles). Check train times on www.trenitalia.it. If you are flying in to Pisa airport there is a railway station at {Pisa airport with direct trains to Florence taking about an hour.

I do not think there is a direct train service from Florence to Montepulciano, you will have to go to Siena. The rest of the journey by train may not be shown on trenitalia as Siena - Montepulciano is a service operated by a local Siena company called Tra-in who run to Montepulciano. Coach from Siena (Tra-in) is probably best.

For that distance I would have thought a moped a very bad idea.

By car the distance is shorter as you can cut off along the No. 429 road to Poggibonsi and then south on the No. 2 before turning east at S. Quirico through Pienza to Montepulciano. This is a road I took a year or two ago when travelling in a rented car from Pisa airport to Pienza. A comfortable journey. All the major car hire companies are represented at Pisa - Hertz, Avis etc.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Pisa to Montepulciano

Agree with Robert-J; car is a much better option. The journey from Pisa shouldn't take more than a couple of hours and it's an easy drive. Will also be good for you to have a car in Montepulciano, so that you get to places such as Montalcino, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, Todi etc etc. Have a great holiday!

Italy
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Pisa to Montepulciano

You can check train times and connections on www.trenitalia.com.

By car, it should take you about 3 hours. Take the FI-PI-LI highway to Florence. You join the A1 highway at Signa, then follow it south to the Montepulciano exit.