We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

New Zealand
4 posts
Save Topic
Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

Hi

We have short amount of time in Tuscany,so thought we would base ourselves in two places, after cute villages with true Tuscany experience (Early Oct)

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,699 reviews
from US$111.90*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,313 reviews
from US$121.90*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
296 reviews
from US$99.50*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,080 reviews
from US$111.90*
Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

Hi to a Kiwi like me!

If you only have 5 days, I would suggest you to find one base and venture out from there. What towns and cities in particular do you want to see?

Ciao!

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

I think the best place to base yourself is around Montepulciano to visit south tuscany and and a part of the central area.This is good if you are going to hire a car...if not...is better if you choose place with the train station close to your basew, like Chiusi, Arezzo or Firenze.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
592 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

I would suggest renting a car and staying somewhere just nort of Siena in Chianti. That way you can visit all of the lovely and nearby towns in the Chianti hills, visit Siena, and see some towns just south of there without wasting too much time driving.

In Chianti visit Radda, Greve, Panzano, Castellina in Chianti. South of Siena visit Montalchino,and Pienza. There are many other small towns, but those were a few of my favs. Where do you fly into?

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

I suggest you the Val d'Orcia and Southern Tuscany an amazing area!

There's a lot to do and to view, lovely medieval villages such as Pienza, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino, Sarteano, Chiusi Città, Cetona, San Casciano and it is easy to go to Siena and Florence.

I recommend to base your self in one place (Pienza is a good choice) and rent a car to tour around. Check the Chiostro web site for accommodation in Pienza: http://www.relaisilchiostrodipienza.com/

New Zealand
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

A big thank you for all these suggestions. Its really helpful.

6. Re: Couple of rec for villages if staying in Tuscany for 5days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 09:23