We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chianti or Volterra???

Hartford...
4 posts
Save Topic
Chianti or Volterra???

Hi, My husband and I will be traveling in Tuscany at the end of September and will most likely continue on to Abruzzo. We are looking for a nice countryside villa/farmhouse for 3-4 nights and have narrowed down our search. We love to walk and prefer to be within walking distance to a town.

The ones we are considering are: Hotel Salivolpi (near Castellina), B&B Fagiolari (near Penzano in Chianti), and Podere San Lorenzo (near Volterra). We are trying to keep under 100 euros/night.

At this point, I think I have done a little too much research and spent too much time online to be objective. My head is spinning. However, I can say that my husband and I tend to stay away from extremely "touristy" places and enjoy discovering the "off the beaten path" gems.

Thanks!!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chianti or Volterra???

Teig, it's good to know that I'm not the only one reeling instead of casually surfing! I'm debating il Fagiolari, too, from 10/3-6. It was high on my list months ago, and now I'm returning to it. Panzano is renowned even within Chianti region for food! Look for the girl with the curls!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chianti or Volterra???

It's difficult to appreciate from just looking at a map, but Volterra is quite remote, on a hilltop, and as an Etruscan town to tour, definitely recommended.

But I would not stay there since you would find yourself spending needless time driving in and out each day and, at night particularly, that would not be enjoyable.

Your choice in Castellini or Penzano would be more suitable for touring Tuscany, and since I am more familiar with the Castellini area, could recommend that region in Chianti.

Anywhere out in the countryside will seem off the beaten path in Chianti. It's absolutely wonderful!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chianti or Volterra???

Panzano (note spelling), without a doubt. It's centrally placed in the Chianti Classico region, mid-way between Florence and Siena. There's so much to see. Volterra is an interesting place, but a bit remote and the countryside is not as attractive. If you want a hotel rather than a farmhouse let me know - I can recommend.