We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my Tuscan itinerary

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Please review my Tuscan itinerary

Hello All,

Please review my Tuscan itinerary:

April 30 - Take train from Venice to Florence in afternoon. From the SMN station take bus to San Casciano which shall be our base for the remaining 7 nights

May 1 - Take bus from San Casciano to Florence. City sightseeing whole day. Evening take bus back to basecamp

May 2 - Go to Florence by bus. City sightseeing whole day.

May 3 - Take early morning bus to Florence. Take train to Pisa. Spend few hours in Pisa. Take train to Lucca. Spend rest of the day in Lucca. Take train back to Florence in evening. Rent a car from AutoEurope in evening from downtown Florence and return to San Casciano

May 4 - Drive east to San Gimignano and Volterra. All day trip

May 5 - Drive to Castello Verrazzano winery in Greve. After wine tour, drive to Siena..spend rest of the day in Siena. Return to base at night

May 6 - Open to suggestions on what to do today

May 7 - Drive to Florence. Return rental car and take train to Rome

I am worried for May 1st day. Being a holiday, Florence would be very very crowded. Should I switch May 1st plans with some other day plans?

Overall how does this itinerary look. I have tried to avoid the car where it's not needed.

Thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

Be sure to pre-book your museum tickets - especially to the Uffizi.

If you can, spend the extra money and get a GPS in the rental car. It will be a big help on the Tuscan roads. I had one from Hertz. I programmed it for "shortest route" and it took me down back roads and small towns. It wasn't fast, but it was a great way to see the countryside.

I would keep your open day clear until you get to Tuscany. You may find something you want to see or to return to on that day.

Sounds like a good trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

I think you are making a mistake by not staying in Florence but day tripping there as Florence hotels are pretty chap at the moment. Stop at the tourist info (official) across from the train station toward Santa Maria Novella for the sheet with the museum opening and closing hours and the public toilet map.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

Half a day to see Lucca... oh my gooooooddddd

what is the world comming too... you are on a schedual tighter than a ducks back side....

Spend your extra day in Lucca ...pretty pleaseeeee

Best regards

Dr L

Kentucky
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

If possible, I would suggest renting the car at the airport, though it costs a bit more....the ZTL is easy to negotiate out of Florence, not so easy coming back in to return car.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
411 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

You have most of the bases sort of covered.Personally dump the sat nav (my local hire company (avis) usually advise visitors the same. Get a touring club italiano map, spend more time looking out than at the screen. The routes will open up to you easily with a little planning, the main roads all have small road markers at short intervals so you will soon know if you went wrong. You are missing Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano and Monteriggione which can be a busy but easily possibee day trip. From Greve heading down towards Siena just follow your nose, the countryside is stunning, if you take a wrong road its likely to have its own charm in some way, and you will never be too far from the motorway if you are running late. Yes Dr Leo is right an afternoon in Lucca is a shame, so try at least and get there before the lunch time when the shutters on the shops come down. Its not overly touristy and can be quiet once into siesta, but on a short visit that should not deter you.

I would switch your days around, and advise against Florence on the weekend or public holiday, its rammed once you add the locals into the normal tourist flow. I might even suggest Pisa/Lucca on May 1 would be a good idea, and just hire the car at the end of the day in Florence.

Florence
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

On 5th May excellent choice of winery, great location, birthplace of Giovanni da Verrazzano, famous explorer and "the first New Yorker". I work as a private tour chauffeur and I have taken so many people there and they all loved it. I hope Gino will be there for you, he's a character! He loves Sinatra, ask him to sing My Way. Enjoy your holiday.

7. Re: Please review my Tuscan itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 14:28