We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

elle1402
3 posts
Save Topic
Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

My partner and I are looking to unwind at an agriturismo for three weeks in June - around June 10 to July 1. We will be travelling with two children aged 10 and 6. Can you suggest an agriturismo suitable for us? Our requirements:

(1) We would like to visit San Gimignano, Siena, Pisa, Lucca, Volterra - so prefer an agriturismo nearer these areas.

(2) the agriturismo must be walking distance to a town as we are trying not to rent a car (not used to left-hand drive). we intend to take public transport from the town to other places in tuscany. maybe, we may even rent a car from the town for 1-2 days.

(3) apartment must have beds for 4 people, kitchen, washing machine and pool.

Any comments/suggestions for us is welcome. Thanks!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

Hi elle

Even though agriturismos are not my thing... heres a link to whats been previously been asked with some choices and ideas.Follow all the links.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187893-i67-k265…

By the way... to get the best out of Tuscany you will find have to hire a car. Even if its just to get to a train station or bus station to speed up your connection times.

What is your budget by the way... you've possibly left it late for this year though.

Regards

Dr L

elle1402
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

dr leo,

thanks so much for your quick reply.

- ok, will consider getting a car, then.

can i ask: why don't you like agriturismos? they seem like a good idea to me as they are marketed at wholesome, organic, near nature etc. is the reality far from the advertisements?

can i also ask: if you had three weeks in tuscany, where would you stay? bearing in mind i would prefer to stay in one location (country rather than middle of town) and explore from there - rather than move around to new accommodations every 3 days.

thanks!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

Dear elle I live in Tuscany and in my opinion, spending an holiday in Tuscany countryside is a marvellous and incredible experience, an special atmosphere that you will never forget. First of all i want to suggest to get a residence in a strategic zone of tuscany, so that you can get to all the towns, villages, sagre ( traditional village feast) and the other pictouresque hidden treasure of Tuscany. I invite you to consider the Elsa valley ( called val d' elsa). It is a less known area of tuscany, less crowde that will let you to reach in few minutes, San gimignano, Volterra, Certaldo, monteriggioni, montefoscoi and to get a fast train for florence. Even pisa and lucca are close too. in one hour by car you can reach also the marvellous seaside of south tuscany! The town I would suggest is Montaione because of his location, his countryside and its variety of farmhouse, agriturismo, flats. If you need some information more about let me know. I know some residence there too. My suggestion is however to enjoy the countryside life without stressing yourself for visiting all the town!!!. Spend some days also in front of a swimming pool with your children or have a walk surrounded by nature and countryside animals. Renting a car can be a comfortable, safe and good idea. I can see a lot of tourist who rent a car.

elle1402
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

hi lawtennis,

thanks so much for your info. yes, i'm so excited about going to tuscany. and i'm getting worried, as i have left things very late.

yes, i would really love any recommendations you can give me on accommodations in the montaione area or anywhere nearby. as i mentioned, i prefer:

- an apartment with kitchen, washing machine (as i have children with me).

- pool

- not too far from food store, restaurants.

- easy to access other towns you mentioned.

my budget: the cheaper the better, i guess! is about 500 euros a week unrealistic? i'll be looking at about 3 weeks and a few days.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

In the montaione area I know some residence i could suggest you. First of all you can have a look of visitmontaione.com where you can have an idea about this area. (In this website there are also some residences, but they are few residence since this is a new website.) In my experience you should consider these three residence: Belmonte case per vacanze, which is a new residence agriturismo very comfortable for family with children. Borgoiano is another residence with nice flats and a nice location in the Iano village. Piedicosta is another nice residence with a nice website, but smaller than the others. If you want some information more about you can write me also private message or write down in the forum as you want. If you think your request can interest just you, write me a private message.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

Poggiolungo is really nice http://www.poggiolungo.net, also Il Passo degli Ulivi http://www.ilpassodegliulivi.it

But you might want to look into some place in the Volterra area since you seem interested in visiting places all around there.

Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

elle

also check:

http://www.toscanasempre.com/struttura_en.asp

Many, many choices - many meet your requirements and some are within your budget. Located in the Volterra region, Stefania's contact info is on the website and she has personally helped us find perfect accommodations three different trips. Check out a few of the villas / agriturismi online and then since it is so late I would contact her directly.

Good Luck!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

elle1402,

Take a look at www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp…

Which is a large database of user reviews.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

Hi there

Seems that your getting plenty of advice which is great. Agriturismos would not be at the top of my list for a varity of reasons.Namly I belive that they play on the fact that they are better and more wholesome than a villa or appartment.Just because they might keep a few goats and sell honey!? When in many ways they just call themselves that to act as a marketing experiment. Also they gain various grants from both the Italian government and european Commision which I find amazing! Anyway I'm not going to bore you. With that incredible tight budget i doubt you will find anywhere at that price in June.Agriturismos will certainly charge you more for the above privalages.

I would look at www.ownersdirect.co.uk. But I couldn't find anywhere with the facilities you wanted for less than €800 per week. There are bargins out there. On the above website we found www.villarosatuscany.com. We'll be here in the last week in June. It has alarge private pool 4bedrooms and it's own country estate. If you want to experince nature, just go for a walk in the Tuscan countryside that's free!

I know you said you wanted to stay 3 weeks. Well with that lengh of time I would certainly consider having 2 bases. Stay in the above region an hour from Pisa airport and Tuscan Riviera. Then head to some of the various places already mentioned above in southern Tuscany. Then you will have sampled a greater perspective of Toscana. However I am still concerned that your budget for June is way way too small.

Best regards

Dr L

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agriturismo for 3 weeks with children

Dear leo you should consider that agriturismo or other similar kind of residence in Tiscany live thanks to this kind of hospitality. They just want to offer you a different and wamer way of living your holiday offering you the friendship of the family owner and the biological production they hardly gain by working thei land. Moreover there are some places where you can spend 500 euro about. ciao!