We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

villa,farmhouse accomodation

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
villa,farmhouse accomodation

My husband and I are planning to go to Tuscany next may for 3 weeks.We want to immerse ourselves in the culture of the area and would love to hear of any nice villas farmhouses where we could stay in Tuscany. Want something old not modern and somewhere central to base ourselves so we can do day trips etc. Not sure if we will hire a car or do public transport. Husband keen to only travel with back packs but as we are in our 50's not so sure!!

Would love to hear from anyone with these experiences

Thanks

travelbugforever

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

I have my own transport but I have a backpack as well and I am doing alot of walking, but a car is good to have unless you are staying put in one city.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

Hi, We are staying at this apartment in Tuscany for a week in September this year.

click4holidayhomes.com/…5526

It sounds to be a good base to visit Cinque Terre and many other lovely areas, there also seems a lot of scope for walking. If you haven't booked anywhere by October this year I could give you some feedback on this one if you message me. Good luck with the trip planning!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

We just returned from 14 days in Italy. In Tuscany we stayed in the Tinaio apartment at Palazzo a Merse. It was lovely in May and centrally located, we went in a different direction every day. I'm working on my trip report!

http://www.palazzomerse.it/eng/eng.htm

We traveled with backpacks, but this place is in the countryside and we rented a car.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

All depends on first what your budget is... once we know that we can help you

Best Regards

Dr L

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

travelbugforever,

Tuscany is a big area there is nowhere central to see it all. You might want to consider two locations. A car is really required to see Tuscany. Some areas have no trains and infrequent bus service.

For southern Tuscany this will give you some ideas slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

For northern Tuscany try www.knowital.com/tuscany/lucca/accommodation/

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

We stayed with www.bestoftuscany.it. They own four wonderful villas which are reasonably priced and in great locations. Each villa is lovingly restored and three have pools so that you can cool off at night! The owners are locals and stop by each day to offer any help which is wonderful. There's nothing like getting advice from the locals! We also took a cooking class through them which was so much fun! I would highly recommend checking them out. I can't wait to go back to stay with them again!

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

www.forconate.com/step.jsp?setlanguage=1

Beatiful farm house, cheap and cosy.

But at least you have to rent a car.

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

Wow, thanks everyone for your helpful information!

What great websites to visit! So much choice and the area looks just wonderful

Couldn't agree more re hiring a car and my husband is now re thinking his "grand idea"

Grazie everyone!

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

A car is a must to really enjoy Tuscany! My suggestion is to go to Southern Tuscany. I go there since 2005 and I am getting married in 2010 in the Val d'orcia area. Have a look at http://www.tuscanviews.com I've personally stayed at Il Maggio, Terrazzo, Casanuova and Tramonto.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: villa,farmhouse accomodation

well to counter balence all thee southern Tuscany places try and go to www.ownersdirect.co.uk. Been using it for years and thanks to it found www.villarosatuscany.com . We are heading there in June and we can't wait. You can get a week there in may for around £300. You have to look and see exectly what you want from your Tuscany adventure. Have a great time whereever you go.

Best regards

Dr L