We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos or other biters

Dublin
6 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos or other biters

Hi,

We are travelling to Tuscany in three weeks, staying near Montevarchi.

I'm usually eaten alive by mosquitos and other insects when I'm away and while we've been to this area of Tuscany before I can't remember if there are any there.

Currently pregnant so want to be uber prepared if there are likely to be little biters there. Hate the things!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Montevarchi
Montevarchi
Province of Arezzo, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

Better to be safe than sorry. I have found mosquitoes in my room in Sorrento and Florence in Feb. The Italian custom of not having screens on the windows, allows mosquitoes access unless you keep the windows closed all night.

I brought my own DEET. I had trouble finding it in Italian pharmacies, but maybe I wasn't l;ooking in the right places. I swell up terribly from mosquito bites and have to be pro-active.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

Wouldn't recommend using deet if you are pregnant. Mosiguard is good as it is all natural and seems to do the trick. Also the supermarkets sell these citronella coils which you set light to and stick under tables which deter them quite well.

As to whether there will be any I would bet if the whether has been hot and dry there will always be some about...

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

In italian pharmacys you can but AUTAN which is very good. I have to use it continually in the summer months. There are mosquitos and sandflys. For me the latter is the worst.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

You can usually keep them out of your room if you remember to go into the room in the dark to shut the windows... before you switch on the light... don’t be tempted to switch on the light first ! Air conditioning usually solves the problem because you don't open the windows. If you switch on the light with the window shut, they'll be sitting in a row outside waiting for you to switch it off again and when you open the balcony or window they’ll hop right in .... so allow a minute or two for them to give up waiting ! Once they're in, they hide behind the waste outlet in the bathroom, whether the light is on or off . You can leave the window open with the light off, provided someone doesn’t get up in the night and put the light on in the bathroom…while the window is open…. it’s easy to forget !

Oil of citronella is effective and a natural oil – you can get it as a spray. But check about the pregnancy when using natural oils too, some of them are unsuitable. Also, in restaurants with gardens, if you mention the mosquitos, the waiter may have a 'candle' of oil of citronella which he can put in the 'earth' and light by your table, and that will keep most 'biters' at bay.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

"You can usually keep them out of your room if you remember to go into the room in the dark to shut the windows... before you switch on the light"

I can tell you that you can open the windows in the dark, and you can still be eaten alive. I opened my hotel window in Anacapri in May when the room lights were off. I had 17 mosquito bites when I woke up in the morning. I wish that i had told the desk to switch on the A/C even though it didn't feel that warm.

How careful you want to be on what chemicals you use depends on how bad the reaction you get when you are bitten. DEET is the main ingredient in OFF and other US mosquito repellants , and thousands of pregnant women use them every year without any harm to them or their baby. If you are giving up coffee and caffinated soft drinks during pregnancy, then maybe you can consider oil of citronella which not as effective as DEET.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

I've heard Skin-So-Soft by Avon works wonders, it is just a body lotion so no worries regarding your pregnancy.

7. Re: Mosquitos or other biters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 07:34