We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HomeAway.com

nashua, nh
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
HomeAway.com

Has anyone used this website to rent either an apartment or house in Italy? If so do you have any comments on it?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HomeAway.com

This is the US version of holiday-rentals. What you need to understand about these websites is that they are purely hosting the owners adverts, they don't check the houses out and they don't take any responsibility for the accommodation. Any agreement that you enter into is with the owner alone.

nashua, nh
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HomeAway.com

Thank You. I do realize that but has anyone every used this particular service and if so what has their experience been? I see a recommendation like that as very useful. Sort of like a restaurant recommendation. If someone has run into a problem with a rental on the site that would be useful info. It would at least give me another point of comparison when trying to decide who or what to use. Thanks again.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HomeAway.com

Ok, well I have used it several times and also advertise on it and I have never had a problem in either respect.

I think the vast majority of adverts are quite genuine, but every now and then you will hear a horror story of a completely bogus advert or a complete misrepresentation of the property.

I think the best thing you can do to avoid that is check at the bottom to see how long the advertiser has been with the site (as a bogus advertiser will not have been there long) or chose a property that has testamonials from previous renters.

nashua, nh
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HomeAway.com

Thanks again. That's a great suggestion to check to see how long the advertiser has been on the site. The fact that you have used them with no issues is also helpful. I liken it to a restaurant review. You will always get some negative feedback but most people are reasonable in their expectations and it's their input that is the most helpful. Unless of course the preponderance of info is in the negative or can point to an outright scam.

Once again many thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HomeAway.com

You are welcome, I hope you find somewhere nice.

Singapore
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: HomeAway.com

My experience with HomeAway was very poor. The House I rented in DC was okay. But when I left, the owner kept all but $37 of the deposit, accusing me of trashing the place and stealing.

They never said what I allegedly stole (totally untrue) and I shot movies of the property before we left to show how clean it was. (It was immaculate)

HomeAway said it was beyond their control but would urge the owner to settle. I never saw any sign of that and the owner of Mon Petite Palace in DC never replied to emails once they took the money.

HomeAway then rejected several negative reviews of the property that appeared to meet their guidelines wit no explanation.

Wretched experience. Not recommended at all.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HomeAway.com

I don't think one can recommend HomeAway services unless you are asking whether it's worth to advertise your property there. there is no service to the customer involved. People pay, they publish their ads. It's like asking whether Google is reliable if you see what I mean.

If you are looking for that type of recommendation you need to browse reviews on sites like this or SlowTrav.com because portals are just large sites with paid ads. And the featured properties are just those that pay more to be in such a prominent position.

Some sites, like Homelidays, gives you more visibility on the basis of positive reviews.

8. Re: HomeAway.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:16