We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

california girl
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm all excited about my August 10 day trip to Tuscany with hubby & 2 young kids. Have been doing a lot of research about restaurants(I'm a big but cheap foodie...), things to do etc but dont know how to organize it.

If anyof you make your own maps using Googlemaps, does all the info print out well...?

I'm on a budget and would really prefer to print out my useful stuff from all over as opposed to carrying one Guidebook.

Is there a good site from where I can print out italian menu translations like the kind Rick Steves has in his books...?

I'd love to listen to how you plan out things!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,733 reviews
from US$113.70*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,321 reviews
from US$123.80*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$113.70*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
301 reviews
from US$101.00*
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

Even if on a budget a good guidebook when traveling is always a good investment.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
890 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

Italy Menu Decoder:

budgettravel.com/bt-srv/misc/0812_ItalyDecod…

louisiana
Level Contributor
784 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

I use a travel guide and then transfer all my information that I want into my travel journal for each day..ex;tues 8/10/09

hotel address,phone #

restaurants add,phone

a list of things to do that day

transportation and other reservation #

Then make a copy of each day and take it with you in your bag in case you need the info for some reason.I don't always stick to my plan but it helps to have a plan to start with....

california girl
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Last year when we visited France I bought myself a Rick Steves book but there was so much info I also gathered from looking into other guidebooks at the bookstore and Tripadvisor,Slow travel etc that I had a whole bunch of papers I also had to carry. I was hoping someone found a good alternate to this.

Thanks again for your suggestions and please keep them coming!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,540 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

Given that DH is anal retentive and therefore very organised, we have a few tips.

1. Buy a folder with multiple plastic sleeves

2. Treating each stop in order, into each sleeve put the information connected with that stop, so your email confirmations of accommodation, Google map of where the hotel is, printed list of things you may want to see, recommended restaurants, confirmation of bookings for special sites such as the Uffizi, etc.

3. Hotels usually provide good info on their websites on how to reach them. Check it out and map it before you leave. Put it in your folder and GPS if you are taking one

4. There is NO substitute for a proper road map if you are driving.By all means get printed directions or use a GPS but have the real map. We have the heavy, spiral bound Michelin but the AA map is also good.

5. BEFORE leaving each day if you are driving, both driver and navigator review the route, major roads, any stops etc so you are not surprised. As you approach your town, switch to the Google map for fine directions. The Michelin maps do not always have detailed local maps.

6. While we use multiple guide books for research, we travel with only a few, plus a small language booklet like Lonely Planet for each country, which also has menu material. Researching the food of the country before you go is easy on-line. Find the names of a few restaurants, check out their menus and see what you can find out about the food before you go, especially with kids. Knowing that pollo is chicken is really useful.

7. Having made a bad mistake on dates early in our travel life, we devise and print out a calendar of the trip that has every hotel/B&B printed into the right place, costs per night, indications that the booking is confirmed and so on. It is separated into different colour blocks to distinguish a new place to stay. (I did say he was anal) (He calls it his Rimmer sheet, for fans of Red Dwarf. You can see it here.)

It has

* dates

* name of accommodation

* cost of accommodation per night

* deposit paid and balance due where appropriate

* town or city

* a stripe through the colour indicating booking confirmed

* driving distances and times where appropriate

www.nickbooth.id.au/europe09.pdf

While it is a lot of work, it makes all the difference when we are travelling for such extended periods.

new york
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

i got a used pristine guide michelin on amazon for 99 cents plus a few dollars postage.

i also found the itc map of tuscany helpful

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

I discovered tripit.com a few mos ago & I'm using it to store and organize all of my pertinent trip information for my upcoming trip to Italy. It's totally free & at first it seems very basic & not that interesting but when you play around with it, you'll discover that it's a really great tool & you can do all sorts of things with it. There's also a tripit app for the Iphone & Itouch & I plan to download my itinerary to my Itouch before I leave so I can access it abroad (and you don't need an internet connection to access your itinerary). I used to use a spreadsheet to track everything but it didn't work out as well as tripit.com You can also download google maps into your tripit itinerary. It's very versatile. Happy travels.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,575 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

Organize the travel information???

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,

I may go mad at the thought.

california girl
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

I'm kinda going mad too.....!

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you all organize your travel info? I'm going crazy!!!

I also discovered www.tripit.com and am in the process of trying it out. You email your hotel, etc. confirmations to tripit.com and they are stored in a "folder". Some of them, if in a standard format, then just automatically sort themselves into the tripit calendar. Pretty cool. Others are just in the folder where you can access and then manually enter the info into their calendar. So far I have all our hotels, rental car, airplane info entered in pretty painlessly. Now am trying to add in notes and things. As we don't have itouch or iPhone, not sure what I'm going to do with it next. Print it out maybe? Haven't tried that yet. But as I said, it's been kind of fun to play around with. And I at least like having hotel confirmations and phone numbers all in one place.

SB