We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what areas of tuscany should I see?

amandawh
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
what areas of tuscany should I see?

I will be spending 4-5 days in Tuscany... where should I visit and where should I stay? I need suggestions. I want to hike and wine taste. Or ride horses and wine taste.... I'm not really sure but I want to enjoy it. Any ideas suggestions?

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

You are better off either in the Val d'Orcia area or in the Maremma if you like going horseback riding.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

The Garfagnana and Serchio are good for walking.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

Volterra is a beautiful hilltop city with fantastic views of the countryside, green rolling hills, horse riding closeby, the seaside only 35 mins drive away and if you have your own transport, easy and quick to visit all of the major cities. In other words as I have said many times, the best of 3 worlds, historical cities and towns, country and seaside.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

I agree with jilma, the area around Volterra is my favourite in Tuscany. I think is the best compromise since the location is perfect if you want to discover pictouresque medieval villages of Tuscany, or to reach main like san gimignano or certaldo. The countryside is marvelllous. But in 4-5 I recommend you to enjoy the Tuscany countryside expecially and to relax. If you get a flat ( agroturismo, case per vacanze, residence) between San gimignano and Volterra and you see both town it can be ok. Then enjoy, wine, food, restaurant and horses!! if you want to know something more, even about horse riding let me know. Ciao!

amandawh
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

Yes, tell me some spots you recommend us visiting in tuscany; restaraunts; any places you could recommend us staying? So if we stay in town you guys are suggesting we will be able to visit different parts of tuscany with ease? I definitely want to see Pisa (leaning tower)

What about Siena? Any good info about it? Thanks for your help!!!! Is it a good idea to go through a company for booking wine tours-if so can you recommend one? Thanks for your help!

amandawh
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

thank you so much. I will definitely be reading up on that area and will definitely consider it. Any other suggestions for tuscany that you can recommend (accomodations, wine tours, etc)?

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

For wine tours in this particular area and further away, you could try contacting this nice young man, Filippo Perferi at <guidedtours@libero.it>

He speaks good english, firendly and knowledgible. Apparently he can customise tours. He works through different apritourisms in the area.

Bye

Scotland
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

Hi

if you want to wine taste stay in Greve and visit any of the surrounding vineyards - if you want to horse ride then Maremma is the place.

sightseeing - go to Siena it is a not to be missed city especially in the days that lead up to the Palio on 2 July or 16 August

new york
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

i just returned from four days in the val d'orcia. i haven't been to volterra and don't know any of tuscany all that well, but from what others have said and what i saw driving from there to florence and then on to pisa [both out of the val d'orcia orbit]; it is incredibly beautiful and unusually pristine. there is hiking, wine tasting, i don't know about riding. if you have a car there are many perched hilltop towns - and others - relatively short drives away. and sienna is within easy reach.

there is lots of info on this area from people who have posted and who have been many times. take a look.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what areas of tuscany should I see?

Hi ok if you are interested about location between san Gimignano and Volterra I use to talk about Montaione, it is a pictouresque village with a marvellous countryside around and with a perfect location since you can easily reach Volterra, San Gimignano, Certaldo, and others nice medieval villages with popular feast, markets... like San Miniato and to get a train for Florence from the close rail staion. have a look to www.visitmontaione.com where you can get information about Montaione, restaurant, things to do, restaurants, accomodation ( holiday homes, flats, residence,agriturismo....)

About Pisa, try to arrange for visiting pisa and something else like Lucca. The leaning tower is not so much to spend a day.