We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with villa location please!!

ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help with villa location please!!

Hi. We are a group of 5 or 6 couples looking to rent a villa for a week in Tuscany May 2010. We are mid 40s, and would like to find a central base where we can explore from each day. Love vineyards and quaint towns. We have been finding lots of great villas online, but need to narrow down an area first.

Would love some direction.

Thanks!

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with villa location please!!

What airport are you flying into?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with villa location please!!

The chianti area is good for vinyards and also a fairly central area so getting to Florence and Siena is reasonably easy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with villa location please!!

Hi, I think you should consider to have your base close to all these town you are interested to visit. In my opinion, I live in Tuscany,and my favourite countryside is between San Gim and Volterra.I have fallen in love for it. From over there you can also get a train and spend a day in Florence ( not suggested with car). A. Siena is 40 mins far and you can reach also the Tuscany south seaside. and to do not forget to visit also the smalller and less known villages. There are a lot that I enjoy to discover week, by week. Remember that is not important to visit as many town is possible but to enjoy the tuscany countryside atmosphere, its food, it telax time, its people...it is something that we have forgotten...and have a look to www.visitmontaione.com

I use to suggest this town and its countryside with its flats, farmhouse, rental houses, since it is a parfect starting point for travelling around Tuscany across San Gimignano, Volterra, Certaldo, Montefoscoli, Monteriggioni, San Miniato, Firenze. You can reach these towns and many more just in few time by car or train.

In any case is better for you if you rent a car, it is safe and very comfortable. By the way you have to easily get atrein to get to florence but for other destination the car is ok!!

let me know if want to know more about ...ciao!

ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with villa location please!!

We are flexible but likely will fly into Florence.

thanks

ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with villa location please!!

We are flexible of where to fly in to but likely Florence.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
111 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with villa location please!!

sure you can choose between pisa or florence

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with villa location please!!

gardenOttawa,

Consider southern Tuscany. This will give you some ideas slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with villa location please!!

Hi, our group of 5 women rented a villa 14km outside of Siena last fall for 3 weeks. Farmhouse Casabella has 3bedrooms, 2 baths and the adjoining house called Casabelini has 2 bedrooms 2 baths with swimming pool. We had a rental car and used this as our base, it was wonderful. We did the hills towns but our favorite city was Siena. The owners were fabulous and even cooked dinner for us one night. The price was extremely reasonable, they gave us a discount because of the multiple weeks. We found this rental through www.vacationrentals.com (you contact and deal with the owners directly) their email address is info@casabella.home.it We took a bus to Florence. We also bused it to Rome and stayed in a convent for 3 days. Hope this helps

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with villa location please!!

Opps, forgot to say we flew into Florence by way of Paris

10. Re: Help with villa location please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 05:20