We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling by car

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling by car

hi everyone

I will be travelling by car in September through Tuscany, Marche and Umbria. My concern is theft. Is it safe to rent a car with quite high excess ( over E500) when stolen?

Many years ago it was quite dengerous but maybe not so now?

Any suggestions, opinions will help

Thank you

Aleksandra

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling by car

I have never heard of a rental car getting stolen. Not even in Sicily where I was a bit more worried. I would not leave anything inside the car visible so that you don't tempt break-ins, but the car itself I can pretty much guarantee you that nobody will steal it. Unless you're renting a Ferrari!

Generally I can say that Tuscany and the regions you're visiting are very safe, just use normal precautions that you would use at home.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling by car

Thank you so much, it was really helpful.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling by car

My wife and I have hired cars several times over many years for tours round Tuscany, Umbria, Marche and Enilia-Romagna. Our cars were never tampered with and I have never come across anyone who has had a bad experience either with the theft of or a theft from a rented car.

If it was ever dangerous then it must be a great many years ago.

Theft is not something I have ever had cause to be concerned about in all my years travelling in Italy and elsewhere.

Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling by car

I would not be worried at all.

Just apply common sense and don't leave valuables in your vehicle just as, I hope, you would not leave them in a vehicle, yours or rented, in any other country.

As far as the vehicle goes, whenever I travel to Italy, the car I rent includes vehicle theft with zero deductible.

Have a great time

Luigi, Canada

www.memoriesofitaly.com

5. Re: Travelling by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 07:19