We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

capannelle winery or badia a coltibuono

new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
capannelle winery or badia a coltibuono

having a hard time choosing between these two. Want to learn about the wines take a cooking class and have dinner - and nice accomodations-- can anyone help me?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: capannelle winery or badia a coltibuono

I have not been to Badia a Coltibuono, but I have visited Capanelle. During a 3 week trip to Tuscany earlier this year, we visted six different wineries and Capanelle was the most beautiful. Their wine was much more expensive than any of the other places we visted, but their whole estate was also first-class all the way. They gave a great tour/tasting and I would highly recommend you visit them. Make sure you visit their very hi-tech wine vault that houses a collection of wines held for restaurants around the world.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
412 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: capannelle winery or badia a coltibuono

I have not visited either so my two pennyworth of comment is based on the profile and reputation of the wines. In these two you have picked two with good reputations. I often see glowing reports in TA of great winery visits which no doubt are really enjoyable but the underlying wines are distinctly average. These two are above that. Capannelle is owned by James Sherwood and has been through a major restructuring in recent years, wines from 04 onwards both reds and white have scored well in tastings and the investment in all aspects seems to be paying off, Gambero Rosso rates all their recent wines as good, they seem to be going in the right direction. A similar approach has been taken by Badia a Coltibuono, probably right now a tiny smidge above Cappannelle in terms of range and rankings, they also produce a good vin Santo, and won a top award for their 06 Chianti, although in the same years tastings the Solare 04 from Capannelle only just missed the same award. Whilst with respect to Lax prices in Tuscany are all over the place and its not always a great guide his and any other recommendations (after all he visited 6) would certainly help sway me.

3. Re: capannelle winery or badia a coltibuono

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 07:16