We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Stratford Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

My husband is adament that we need air in July in Tuscany(looking right now in the Chianti and San Giamano area. This is really restricting my choices. Is it something we need? How can I pursuade him otherwise? He is not a pool person.

Boston
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Yes!!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Then there is also the part about how Italian windows don't have screens, so that if you do want to open the window the buggies come in. A/C is your best choice.

Visit in the Fall or winter and you won't need A/C, and you can get by with the windows closed at night.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

In July - absolutely..

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

It depends what you're used to. Italians don't like air conditioning. It gives them a big national headache. Culturally, a/c is demonized here as the cause of cricks in the neck and worse maladies. Frankly it's true, going from 40 degrees outdoors to 22 indoors IS unhealthy.

Most of the time summer nights in the countryside, esp at certain elevations, cool down plenty. I like sleeping with a fan on and the window open. If you're looking at renting a private villa or something, you are unlikely to find one with A/C because it costs too much to run it. But if your husband tends to overheat and thinks he needs air conditioning, he probably does. There is no question, it will be HOT. This summer we had a steady 35-40 degrees celcius and are in the 9th week of this heatwave (unlike you folks in Southern Ontario, where I am originally from!).

Dublin
Level Contributor
88 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Si, si..si..si... definitely!!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Yeah the Italains don't like draughts and they move away from the A/C on the buses. I like the cold breeze and like to plant myself in front of the A/C stream and have been told all kinds of maladies will befall me. Just like the maladies caused by drinking water with ice cubes in it. I wonder about this when they tell me this. I am no spring chicken. I am 56. if these bad things were going to befall me, doesn't one think it would have happened by now?

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Si,si, si!!! It's early Sept. local time 11.26pm here in Italy and outside temperature is 29°celsius with more than 50% humidity...we are a little bit used to it but I am sure not everybody can stand it!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

Yes, absolutely. I was in Tuscany in July a few years ago and my room had no air conditioning, and it was the worst possible feeling. I'm not usually an air-conditioning person either, so that should tell you something. July is hot and stuffy!

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

We stayed in Montecino for 3 days and stayed at the Palazinna Cesara which was wonderful! One of their rooms is air conditioned.

http://www.montalcinoitaly.com/

Montalcino is a beautiful walled city with a wonderful fortress. It also is the home to Brunello, a highly rated red wine. We also enjoyed daytrips to Sienna, Pienza and Montepulcino. Robert, the owner of the B and B, helped us map out our day, including where to park in other towns, suggestions for meals and highlights!His wife makes the most wonderful breakfast, too. Highly rated on this forum!

Enjoy yourselves wherever you go!

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Tuscany in July?

It depends where you are going...

if you choose an Agriturismo up an hill, probably is only to sleep with the windows open. somewhere else you need it.

I don't like air conditioning during the night, but sometimes is difficult to sleep in a good way in July without it!