We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2week itinerary:Emilia-Romagna,Tuscany,Rome-public transport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
2week itinerary:Emilia-Romagna,Tuscany,Rome-public transport

We flying into & are planing to stay in Bologna about 5 nights & from there also explore some of the surrounding towns by public transportation. Suggestions as 1st time in Bologna?

We are trying to decide on a base (5-6 days) to explore Tuscany. We thought that Florence may be easier for public transportation to possibleTuscan towns such as Volterra, Cortona, Siena , Montalcino, Montepulciano, Arezzo by bus or train). (We have previously stayed in Florence for a week and already visited San Giminagno, Montecatini). What about Siena as a base?

Then Rome for 3-4 days (been there before). Any suggested side trips? What abour Orvietto (Umbria)?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2week itinerary:Emilia-Romagna,Tuscany,Rome-public transport

Can't help you with Bologna as I have only been there once, but I would Siena would be a good base considering your planned day trips and yes, Orvieto is a good daytrip from Rome.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,180 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2week itinerary:Emilia-Romagna,Tuscany,Rome-public transport

While I much prefer Siena as a place to stay over Florence (just personal preference) Florence is the better transport hub as the trains and buses leave from right in town and to more places, wheras in Siena the train, at least, leaves from way down below the town. However, if you have stayed in Florence before it might be worth that inconvenience to stay in Siena. I would get hold of a bust timetable from Siena and see what it has to offer.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2week itinerary:Emilia-Romagna,Tuscany,Rome-public transport

Hi

Having stayed in Bologna this Sept but have also fond memories of Florence I would say Florence wins out. Bologna is very vibrant, busy, non stop even in the rain and we only appreciated it when we went to places like Parma and Ravenna on day trips - they can't compare and are quite tacky in places. For a base Florence has the edge but Bologna definitely has something about it as a truly medieval city.

I'm having a nightmare choosing either the Santa Margherita area(Positano itself is so expensive) or Amalfi coast or Sicily (not sure of this one looks to scruffy) for next July. Having done all the big cities which we love it's hard choosing where next in Italy. Any ideas welcome.

Go for Flo!!

4. Re: 2week itinerary:Emilia-Romagna,Tuscany,Rome-public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 06:18