We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence & where in May?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
965 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Florence & where in May?

Hi,

This is a bit of a vague question but as ever, searching for ideas.

My partner and I have been to Florence before for 3 days and enjoyed it, that was 3-4 years ago. He says he wants to go to Tuscany for a break in mid/late May, I think that would be for 7-8 days. Looks like we will be flying into Pisa. I thought it would be nice to go back to Florence for a couple of days as I know he is keen to go to the art gallery for longer this time.

Question is...where else? What I know he wants is to get an apartment so we can buy our own food from the markets. It would be nice if we could hire bicycles to go cycling for a day or two too, although I don't want it to be too hilly. We could happily do 40k cycles as long as roads not too busy and not steep inclines! Is there a large-ish town we can stay in that maybe we can do all that and would be easy enough to get too? We don't really want to hire a car if we can avoid that.

Sorry, it's not a lot of info to go on. I'm off to read up on my LP Italy book tonight but thought I'd see if anyone had any great ideas.

Many thanks.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence & where in May?

Lucca would be my suggestion, easy to hire bikes, lots of apartments to rent. It is in a flat river basin and there are some good rides in the area.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence & where in May?

lucca surely fits your idea...one more idea could be a village...anyway the area between pisa and lucca is surely the best for you

to have some ideas, have a look:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187893-i67-k321…

i hope to hear from you,

cheers

silvia

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence & where in May?

If your partner and you are interested in art, you may like to consider visiting some of the many really wondeful small museums out in the provinces surrounding Florence.

I can direct you, for example, to the system of museums in Chianti known as Chianti Musei - www.chiantimusei.it which houses works recuperated from many of the ancient parish churches from the surrounding countryside.

There are many such museums throughout the region. A very good book (actually the catalog of a very good exhibit from several years ago) is the "Collana di Perle" (Pearl Necklace) which describes the many museums in the Province of Florence. I don't know if it's been translated into English, but it is available online.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
965 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence & where in May?

Thanks everyone for such speedy replies. I will look into Lucca and see if it suits. My LP book is on the whole of Italy so it was pretty limited on Lucca but maybe this weekend I will browse the book stores for some more information.

Art galleries - well I don't mind them for a bit, but do get a bit weary of it after 2 hours or so. It's more his cup of tea.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence & where in May?

Anywhere in Chianti if you plan on renting a car would be nice. Lucca is also very nice. Pisa too. May however is spectacular in Southern Tuscany, where there is more open countryside. It's bright green. It's the best time of the year in my opinion.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
965 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence & where in May?

Thanks everyone, looks like we can get cheap Ryan Air flights to Pisa on Tuesdays in May, for some reason no taxes on these days!

So, if we only have a week....is it possible to get a self catering place in Lucca for say only 5 days or do they tend to rent for a whole week. I think we would arrive in Pisa, train to Florence, have a couple of days there and then move on to Lucca and go direct from there to the airport.

Any thoughts?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,633 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence & where in May?

If you look for apartments from the owners direct websites such as holiday-rentals, homelidays, owners direct, holiday lettings, then I'm sure that you will find one that suits that will rent for 5 days or so, at that time of year. Just make sure you choose one that has been advertised on the site for a while or that has reviews, so you know the ad is genuine.

8. Re: Florence & where in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 05:15