We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toscana

Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
toscana

need a nice place to stay in july. Mother and son age 16. Like to visit Firenze, Lucca and Pisa. Nice small hotel or holiday appartment.

Near to ( or easy to access to a beach). Need good ideas

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toscana

Viareggio (with beaches)on the coast has easy access to Lucca and Pisa. I would suggest one of two approaches: either search for a place in Viareggion that looks good to you; or search for a place in Lucca. At Viareggio you get a beach town, in Lucca you get a real live beautiful Italian town with architecture, opera, restaurants, local life. In either case use the bus or train service to Lucca/Pisa/Florence. The bus/train connections from Lucca or Pisa will be easier.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toscana

Good advice. From personal preference, I would stay in Lucca and use the train to visit Florence, Pisa and the beach at Viareggio.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toscana

you may also stay in smaller villages such as san giuliano terme or vecchiano, closer to the beach than lucca or pisa and less expensive than that towns and viareggio...

cheers

silvia

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: toscana

I agree with peggypatch! From Lucca you are an easy train ride away to Firenze, Pisa and the beaches. Viareggio's beaches I don't particularly like at all, but you can train down to Castiglioncello (not so much beach, but large rocks you can climb over to get to the sea, it's very beautiful though!) and San Vincenzo or down to Follonica, which have gorgeous seas/beaches but are a bit further away. Otherwise you're also quite close to the flashier beach town of Forte dei Marmi.

Montepulciano
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: toscana

I agree with Roadgard. If you have a car Viareggio is a good option, using public transports maybe it's better Lucca.

As a personal opinion, I would choose Viareggio as a base, and then move to Lucca, Pisa and so on, possibly by car. July can be very hot, and maybe it could be very pleasant having dinner on the seaside after a day of sightseeing....

In Viareggio I know Hotel Spinelli, a small, family-run hotel on the left side of the canal, in a quiet area near the pine-wood. I followed in past a project in Viareggio for about 4 months , and I lived in that hotel: very very nice property, interesting prices.

You will need the car to reach the beach ( 5 min driving)

If it can be of some interest, every year, on July, there is an important and prestigious opera festival in Torre Del Lago ( 5 min by car from Viareggio), dedicated to the famous composer Puccini :

www.puccinifestival.it/website/eng/index.asp

Trondheim, Norway
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: toscana

Do we need a car to stay there?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toscana

According to the line above the last paragraph, yes. But if you really want to stay in Viareggio, then I'm sure there are hotels more centrally placed where you wouldn't need one. The only downside to that is that the beaches in central Viareggio are not free. Neverthless, they will be substantially cheaper than the cost of a hire car for the week!

Montepulciano
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: toscana

Viareggio is a small town but everything will be easier with a car then using public transports.

The train station is quite far from the beach area (to go on foot), and the train station of Viareggio is not on a main line: in my opinion in using public transports you can waste a lot of time..

I don't know how long you are supposed to stay in the area, but Viareggio can be a good base for day trips to Italian Riviera: Genova is 2 hours by car, and between Viareggio and Genova ( which is a beatiful town) you can find interesting destionations like Porto Venere, Cinque Terre, Santa Margherita Ligure, Portofino, Camogli..

españa
Level Contributor
17 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: toscana

Peggypatch,

my husband and I, are also going to Tuscany in July. We are fliying to Pisa. Where could we stay?

In the morning we like to do sighsteeing and in the afternoon go a little to the beach. We are going to hire a car? Do you think Lucca is a goog place, or is better another little town?

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: toscana

Amigos,

it was not clear to me which "there" you intended. If "there" is Lucca historic section then you certainly do not want a car. No place convenient to park - can't drive into the historic section, and the bus/train service are very good.