We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches in tuscany

ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
best beaches in tuscany

We are travelling to tuscany in early may, we arrive in pisa and rent a car.we want to spend a few days in a nice beach resort perhaps near grosseto.can anyone recommend the nicest place that has a good beach? Also how do the best around viarreggio compare to the beaches further south?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches in tuscany

Hello there - without offending anyone, there is no comparison between the beaches in Viareggio and those around Castiglione della Pescaia. Around Castilgione, virtually any beach will be a Blue Flag beach. If you head that way, a must is Cala Violina, and reached on foot though but there is a car park and a well signed path to the beach. Also, in Castiglione there is a couple of really fantastic ice cream shops, try their speciality of honey ice cream, truly to die for! If you want to go near Viareggio, then I would go to Spiaggia della Lecciona, again you can reach that only on foot or bicycle, but again good parking facilities. If you then decide to go south of Castiglione, you should not miss out a visit to Argentario!

BUT, being born and brought up on the border between Tuscany and Liguria, I wouldn't do justice to my area if I did not mention that to find really pretty beaches and coves you could head north of Viareggio towards Lerici, Portovenere and Cinque Terre. To die for!!!

Hope this helps! And if you want to ask me any questions, do feel free to get back to me!

I am envious, May is gorgeous out there, free of mass tourism...lucky you, I am stuck in grey England!

Sara

ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches in tuscany

Thanks Sara, thats exactly the type of advice i was looking for. i have been checking out those places you mentioned. Seen as your familiar with tuscany , maybe you can advise me on something else. i want also to explore other parts of tuscany also. Places like montipulciano, siena , san gimihiniano,.... I would like to base myself somewhere central to these places, I deally i would like to stay in a country house possibly in a vineyard, perhaps montipulciano , or am i better to travel up to the chianti region to have this kind of experience. Is the chianti region more scenic than south of siena ? Is there any other places you would recommend that i shouldn miss, around tuscany. As i said i will have a car so i am quite flexible.

Also on my first few days, is lucca a better option to lucca? thats a lot of questions i know. Thanks in advance

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beaches in tuscany

We have just bought an apartment in Lunigiana, just a 45 minute drive from the places you mention, which are beautiful. However, we have trouble finding a sandy cove. Where are the ones you are referring to please?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beaches in tuscany

Hello Brenda - let me guess, did you buy near Aulla o Pontremoli? Very popular areas with English speaking people. I am afraid there aren't that many coves really, unless you go further up the coast past Cinque Terre.

However, there is a fantastic vulcanic beach, Punta Corvo that you can reah via 'barcone' (a kind of small ferry) from Bocca di Magra. You can also see the beach if you go to Montemarcello.

Otherwise, there beaches of Marinella are long and sandy, but do get very crowded over summer.

Other lovely spots, are Fiascherino and Tellaro, just before Lerici. Have you been? Gorgeous there too.

Now going back to original post, I am afraid I haven't travelled widely in Tuscany. All the places you have mentioned are lovely, but I would also make time for Pitigliano, apparently called by some the Little Jerusalem, probably because Jews had to hideaway during the way and there is like a underground living zone where they were forced to hide, seehttp://www.pitigliano-toscana.com/

Also, if you are interested in Etruscan history, you cannot miss a visit to Volterra!

Yes, Lucca is a little gem and I do prefer it to Pisa - if it is Pisa that you meant (Lucca was repeated twice in your message).

And finally, I would visit this website (available in English too) as it lists all AGRITURISMO, like farms that have accommodation and usually offer own products to guests:

http://www.agriturismointoscana.com/

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to get back to me.

Enjoy!

Sara

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
764 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beaches in tuscany

Three links for you:

athomeintuscany.org/2009/…

www.maremmaguide.com/italy-beaches.html

http://ow.ly/1now5

ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best beaches in tuscany

Hi,sara, i was just checking out some of those beaches you mentioned around casrtlligon de pesciaia. They look lovely as in nice litlle sandy coves. i was told to base ourselves in castiigilion . however it doesnt get gear reviews here as a location. Ideally we would like a kind of serviced beach like viarreggio (maybe not as built up) but somewhere that has sunbeds to lie on . perhaps i dont have to go as far south as there?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beaches in tuscany

That's right, the beaches in and around Castiglione della Pescaia, such as Cala Violina and Rocchette have no rows of beach umbrellas, which is why I actually like them. Having said that, you will find beaches with that kind of service, but you will have to pay a fee and I am not sure whether you can do that on a daily basis. Where I am originally from you can only pay for the WHOLE season, namely June to August, and it doesnt come cheap!

What you need to look for is a 'spiaggia libera attrezzata', which means 'free beach but services' by that I mean that it is a FREE beach but you can hire the beach umbrella, 'sdraio' (deck chair) and lettino (sunbed) for a daily fee, sometime even 'mezza giornata', half day.

Viareggio is very expensive, as Forte dei Marmi as VIPs and footballers tend to hang around there, but in May it should be ok, HOWEVER you will need to check whether the 'stagione' (season) has started or not. For example, where my parents live, the beach umbrellas etc only come out 1st week in June.

Does this help?

Sara

florida
Level Contributor
77 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best beaches in tuscany

Are any of these areas a convenient rental car drive from Livorno where we will be docked for one day?

Lancaster
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best beaches in tuscany

You are looking at about 1hr drive by superstrada (like a dual carriage way) IF there is not traffic.

Whether you can hire a car form Livorno, I am not sure.

Sara

10. Re: best beaches in tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2010, 05:16