We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days, what do we do? Help!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10 days, what do we do? Help!!

Hi,

We are going to Tuscany in June. We will fly into Pisa on a Wednesday evening. I think we will stay in Pisa that night and tour Pisa on Thursday. That then leaves 10 days for us to tour Tuscany.

What we want/like...

1. We would like to tour some wineries and stay on one for a few days. would you recommend any?

2. Head to the sea for 4-5 days. We would prefer somewhere with a bit of life, nice food, nice bars etc.

3. Anything else that we should look at.....

Sorry about this but any help would be greatly appreciated. This is one holiday where I really dont know what to do so hence the post. Thanks again!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days, what do we do? Help!!

There is no shortage of wineries in Tuscany, just as there is no shortage of different wine areas! One that I can highly recommend is Fattoria Poggio Alloro. It's a really down to earth family run organic farm/winery with chianina cattle, pigs, chickens, saffron fields, vineyards and a perfect postcard view of San Gimignano. As the area is famous for it's dry white wine, Vernaccia di San Gimignano, (which you will see in abundance all over the hills in this area) this is one of their specialities, but they also do a good Chianti, of course, and wonderful organic olive oil. My personal favourite of their wines is their vin santo, a traditional Tuscan dessert wine. This is their site: www.fattoriapoggioalloro.com/

There are also the wineries in the better known Montalcino and Montepulciano.

Otherwise if you're wanting to combine the sea with wine, there is also the area of the Etruscan coast - Bolgheri is a small, cypress-tree lined town with arguably the best red wine in the country (Sassicaia). The nearby Castagneto Carducci is also charming and is home to many wineries, and both are very close to the sea and costal towns such as Castiglioncello (which is one of my favourite seaside towns for nice food, bars and pretty pine parks along the sea).

Hope this helps!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days, what do we do? Help!!

Look at this place:

LaFerrozzola, www.laferrozzola.com/italiano/index.html, the same people own the hotel in Castellina, at Squarcialupi Plaza. It is convenient to visit anything in Chianti, and from the house to Castellina, is either a stiff 12-15 minute walk uphill through the vinyard, or a 3 minute drive. Castellina is a delightful little town, only moderately touristy, nice restaurants, fabulous gelato shop (perhaps the best we have ever visited in Italy). The unit that we stayed in is what they call Iris T1, pool, two bedrooms, lovely, clean, comfortable, quiet. Lovely views from the private veranda in back of the apartment. We have never stayed at their hotel in town but I did tour a few of the rooms and use their bar service - it appeared to be quite nice.

There is also an agriturismo at Castello Fonterutoli vinyard just a few miles south of Castellina. We have not been there but it looks nice and the location is primo.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days, what do we do? Help!!

I would first head to the Siena area for the winery experience and then to Castiglione della Pescaia for the cost part. That would also be convenient to drive back to Pisa along the coast on the day you have to leave from Pisa.

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days, what do we do? Help!!

regarding the seaside, choose forte dei marmi, it's a very nice exclusive location full of nice beach clubs, restaurants and night life...a lovely market on wednesday morning

5. Re: 10 days, what do we do? Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 06:20