We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which wineries in Tuscany?

miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Which wineries in Tuscany?

We have our home base for a week in San Gimigano, and the car too. I have just been ovewhelmed in trying to pick a couple of nice little wineries to visit. I know by reading from others the ones to skip(large commercial ones) but it's hard to tell which ones might suite our needs. We know a little about wine, but want to share a more home feel tour and tasting by the folks that are passionate about their livelyhood, and would like to walk away with a bottle or two for dinner at our Italian home, All suggestions welcome, and mille gracie Deborah

Siena
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

In San Gimignano try Panizzi and Cesani. Both do wonderful tastings and you will feel very welcomed ;)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
912 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

we took a cellar tour at Avignonesi and a lunch with food/wine pariings. It was great! We also did tasting at Ricasoli - the tasting room is very California like - but nice. Excellent wines. We did not eat there, but other people we know did and said it was wonderful. Both of these wineries have websites.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

Asbolutely go to Fattoria Poggio Alloro (http://www.fattoriapoggioalloro.com/ ), an organic family run winery and farm in Ugliano, about 10 mintues drive from San Gimignano. You can pop in to try some of their wines (the local Vernaccia, "Le Mandorle" is wonderful, as is their Sangiovese "Convivio", but in my opinion the best of their wines is their Vin Santo di Vernaccia di San Gimignano, a local sweet wine made from over-ripened Vernaccia grapes). But I would highly recommend booking for lunch while you're there - you'll get a local, homecooked farm meal - everything they use comes right off the farm (they also grow spelt, wheat, saffron, they have chickens, pigs - so they make their own sausage and proscuitto!- and chianina cows). You won't regret it! :)

miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

Thank you for your suggestions! I've seen and alway enjoy reading your replies on here, because of your knowledge, enthuisum and insider info. Can I share our weeklong itinerary, and opinion on anything to add? We're skipping Florence, as we've been, and want to concentrate on more of the places we haven't been. From what I've read, it's slow down, look, explore and enjoy Tuscany. Lucca, the first Sunday, and we'll be able to see the antique fair. Volterra, Montopulciano, Montalcino, and Siena. Also a drive out to Maria di Castagneto to the Tombolo Talasso Resort (weather permitting), Villa Mansi, and Abbazia di San Galgano. Can you suggest any other little places we may happen on when we're in these areas that might be of intrest? We are also open to local fetes, and concerts. Mille graci!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

Hi Deborah,

When are you going to be in Tuscany exactly? It sounds like a fun-filled plan already, but to suggest a few other places that you could happen across being that you're in the area - while you're at Castagneto Carducci (the Tombolo Talasso resort) stop by the cypress-tree lined town of Bolgheri for some serious red wine tasting (the Taverna del Pittore is a great restaurant there too). If you want to visit another thermal spa, there is also the nearby Calidario, where you can swim under the stars until midnight in the summer time... http://www.calidario.it/

While in Montalcino, I highly recommend a visit to the winery Poggio Antico http://www.poggioantico.com/. On my last visit there, they recommended a place in the nearby sleepy town of Sant'Angelo in Colle called Trattoria Il Pozzo. It was A-mazing. True trattoria, country style food.

You're also not far from Colle di Val d'Elsa, a great little hill top town to explore with less tourists. Try this place for a meal: www.cucina-popolare.com a special little place that focuses on biodynamic food and wine.

Carrara, Italy
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

as you have a car, you could move towards Lucca hills and visit:

www.fattoriadifubbiano.it

www.buonamico.com

www.fattoriadelteso.it

miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

Again, mille gracie! We will be there 15-21May. Deb

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

The 16th and the 23rd of May there's a sort of "gastronomic market" in the town of Panzano (Chianti), which might be fun to browse through and try some of the local specialties!

miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

Oh, again thanks! Sounds like a definate plan, and I'm going to be cheeky. Any other local fetes, fairs, Saint day happenings, and the like that you come accross, let me know. We were going to wait and check the local tourist office in San Giamo when we got there to do that, but all the more info we get in advance, helps so much! Your posts have been the best and appreciated! Deborah

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which wineries in Tuscany?

In Chianti from Florence on your way to Siena stop by www.casaemma.com

Visit Greve in Chianti - the antique butcher deli in the main square Falorni offers tastings of selected Chianti wines, extra virgin olive oils and local delicacies. This will give you an idea of the estates you may want to visit.