We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Tuscan Dishes

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
915 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Tuscan Dishes

I'm looking for recommendation on must try dishes of the Tuscany region. I really have no experience with dishes that are considered staples in this area.

I'm pretty open to most things but honestly I'm not into things like brains, kidneys, tripe etc...

I was bold enough to try haggis in Scotland and that cured me of my urge to "just try it". LOL

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

Grilled meats: A bistecca alla fiorentina, a giant T-bone that generally weighs in at over two pounds and is shared between two people, or a lombatina di vitello, a large veal chop.

Beans prepared in various ways.

Soups: Pappa al pomodoro, a thick tomato and bread soup, or ribollita, a thick vegetable soup.

Dessert: Cantuccini al vin santo, dry biscuits (most often with almonds) dipped in a sweet wine.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

Also, I believe, there is great variation between various areas or towns, although I have not sampled all of them. So our practice is to place great confidence in the specialties of the house - subject to some editing, as you suggested. We have never been disappointed in that approach. For example, i don't eat boar a home, but I certainly do in Florence; I don't eat much pizza at home, but I certainly do in Chianti.

Zerlina is correct, but I think you can safely let your eyes roam over the menus, or ask the waiters. Just one word of warning: in my experience, Florentine steaks will be served exceeding rare, red, red, red. And they do not want to cook it otherwise.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
915 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

Zerlina - Thanks for the suggestions. I can see that there will be a lot of good things to look forward to!

Roadgard - That's a great suggestion. I think with specialties your probably going to have more fresh, seasonal items also. Always a good way to eat!

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

Cinghiale, Wild Boar in a regu over fresh pasta (pici)

Various Salamis and sliced meats. Especially Siena pork Cinta Senese. This pig is made into many things, but try the white delicate fat sliced thin. Pair it with a chiani reserva or a brunello and it’s heaven. Every town says their sliced meats are the best so you will always be able to get a nice antipasto plate.

While at a market, go to one of many pork vendors vehicles. They are easy to find, since they have a whole hog on the counter. Get a porchetta sandwich with salt and crackle!

Treat yourself to a lamb chop in Bolgheri near the coast

If you’re on the coast, try which ever fish is fresh that day

The essence of Tuscan food is local and fresh. Keep that in mind and you will eat well.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

And rabbit, we had some very good rabbit dishes. We get wild boar at home occasionally, but it was especially good in Tuscany. Definitely ask for the specialties.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

ARTICHOKES!!! In any way, shape or form!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

I suggest you read this blog: …intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/tuscanycious/ especially this post: …intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/… = )

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

White bean soup. Very hearty and silky smooth.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

RobiR,

Marvelous suggestion!

thanks,

Road

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,272 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Tuscan Dishes

anmjm You took the words right out of my mouth. Wild boar ragu, porchetta on a roll. I was not hugely impressed with the lardo personally but it may have been the way it was served. I also had the best ever tomato bruschetta at a cafe in Montalcino partnered with a glass of Brunello. A sunny day. Heaven.

And the cantucci and vin santo are very good, but so is the speciality of Siena, panforte. Just inside the San Matteo gate of San Gimignano is a shop that sells this in huge half wheels and a number of flavours and it is VERY good. Panzanella, or bread and tomato salad and caprese salad (tomatoes, buffalo mozarella and a touch of fresh basil).

Yum!!!