We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

New York, NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

Can anyone recommend some villages in central or southern Tuscany to use as a base for six days for exploring Tuscany?

We will be spending two nights prior in Florence so no need to be near there, however we will likely do one day trip back up north to visit Lucca.

We currently have reserved a farm B&B just outside of Monteroni d'Arbia (for €90/night) and while it seems excellent, we are concerned that we want to be able to leave our place without a car (by foot or bike) or have a dinner with plenty of wine and walk back home. We are urbanites through and through, so I'm also concerned that staying in the middle of nowhere for a week may drive me a little crazy even if the goal is to relax in the Tuscan countryside.

So I am looking for good village/town options perhaps where there are a few restaurants, a market, beautiful landscape, and generally the ability to stroll around for half a day without worrying about the car. Ideally, it would be accessible, i.e. within a 1 hour drive to sites in Chianti, hill-towns west of Siena, and the Montepulciano area.

Also, I am also really trying to avoid touristy spectacles and wine tours and such, so I would welcome suggestions that are a bit more off the beaten path, if that's even possible.

Lots of conditions, I know, and there probably aren't places that perfect, but I would welcome your thoughts.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,632 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

How about Volterra? I know it has recently had a few extra visitors because of the Twilight film, but I don't think it is overrun and it certainly fulfils most of your criteria.

pisa
Level Contributor
752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

an undiscovered area:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187893-i67-k321…

...i hope you may like it!!

cheers

silvia

New York, NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

Thank you for the suggestions. Volterra may be an option but I don't know why, but my intuition tells me to gov further south, south of Siena.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

Pietrasanta, Montalcina, Pienza, Monteriggioni Sinalunga. San Casciano Dei Bagni

Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
539 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

Assouli

You definitely need to look at www.sanfabiano.com - it really fits your description. This agriturismo is also in Monteroni D'Arbia - but less than 1 km walking distance to town. We have stayed there several times and always walk into town for morning cappuccino and often for dinner at three very good family restaurants. There are also bikes at the farm for guests to use.

Take a look at the website to see all that it offers - close to town but the setting is an 1800 hector farm with hills, trails, fields, etc. Also pool, ac, charming renovated farmhouse.

Monteroni is NOT a tourist town but an active, "contemporary" town full or people going about their daily lives ... so shops are in abundance for all necessities within walking distance (also a large coop on the outskirts). It may not be a place to spend a half a day but the great thing is that it is within 1 hrs drive of many other hill towns and sights you will want to visit. Montalcino is 1/2 hr; Siena is 20 min; Montepulciano about 45 min.

It may just fit the bill ... good luck!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

Assouli,

This may give you some ideas slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

I had a wonderful stay in a small village close to Volterra and I found it a wonderful base for visiting all of Tuscany. The village has everything necessary and in no time you can get to Volterra, San Gimignano, Pisa, Siena and many other hilltops villages all woth visitng. I found my accomodation on Owners Direct.uk but the owners do have their own website <http://www.tuscany-orciatico.it.gg>. I hired my vehicle at Pisa airport and the drive to the village is about 50 minutes. I had organised a guided tour of the Cinque Terre which was great, a stressfree day but you can easily do it yourself and Lucca as well.

Cheers!

Flower

New York, NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

Thanks for all the good suggestions. On a related note, what is the most touristed area of Tuscany? The equivalent of, say, the Luberon in Provence?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

The most touristed areas in Tuscany are the Chianti and the Val d'Orcia. But there are towns less touristed than Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano even in the Val d'Orcia. Look at the area on Google Maps to find them.

10. Re: Less discovered villages or towns for a one week stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 May 2010, 16:58