We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help for our honeymoon

Boston...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help for our honeymoon

Hello all... I just joined in the hopes I could get some immediate feedback with regards to Tuscany. My wife and I are planning our honeymoon in France and Italy and we're making a 3 night stay somewhere in Tuscany part of our honeymoon. We will have a car and we'll be staying in Tuscany from July 22nd- 24th.

What I would like are opinions and suggestions from people who have stayed here in a similar situation like ours. I know we don't have enough time to see the whole region but it would be nice if we can find that right spot in terms of scenery, location and accommodations. I can't see us breaking the bank for a room when I think we'll be doing excursions and day trips for our time here, hence the fact location is a must. I would like our choice of hotel/B&B to be clean, romantic, private bath and A.C.

I do love wine and olive oil and I do like areas that tend not to be to touristy although neither my wife or I speak Italian so we may have to consider something in between. I have read about San Gimignano, Volterra, Pienza, Montecatini, Greve and others. My wife and I need to nail down a place within the next day or two. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

yav5,

I think that southern Tuscany is a great location. This will give you some ideas slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

Hi tav5, you could choose San Gimignano and/or Volterra since as for location they are both "central" Tuscany. If you have a car it's rather easy to drive to Florence (1h3min), to Siena(1h) and having just 3 days I don't think you will have enough time to drive somewhere else.

Montecatini is hot spring place..and you are a bit further west out of the cantral region, as well as Pienza nice village but much southern.

As for San Gimignano and/ot Volterra they are plenty of B&B in the countryside, so talking about July 22-24 you should consider this option.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,280 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

With such a shot time, you really won't have time to see much, so I'd choose Pienza and see the hilltop towns around you, it is the most beautiful and remantic setting of all the places you mention IMO.

Make sure you have read through the top question above and to the right about driving in Italy.

Norway
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

Hi!

A perfect place for a honeymoon! We spent ours in Tuscany last year, and it was perfect. I think San Gimignano is beautiful, but too touristy. You should find a place in one of the small villages of Chianti - is my recommendation! Either Radda, Greve or Castellina in Chianti are all wonderful options. There are just TOO many things to see and do, including visiting wineries, Siena, Florence, San Gimignano etc etc, but the very small hamlets in old stone all around are just as romantic and spectacular. If you´d like to really have a treat, Spaltenna castle in Gaiole is just amazing. http://spaltenna.it/

Or, in the same small town, there is a b&b which is clean and much chaper, and also quite romantic, max 100 euro per night. www.lafontedelcieco.com/index.php?newlang=eng

Good luck! There are just TOO many things to see and do...

Heidi - a Chianti-lover!

Boston...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

This is great everyone; thanks to all of you whom have taken the time to reply. As of right now we're leaning towards Volterra, Pienza and Greve. I would love for some accommodation feedback. Like I said, we don't need to break the bank on a hotel/B&B but I definitely want it to have A.C., romantic, a good area and nice view. I would love for some more opinions and tips on where to stay.

Thanks again,

Tav5

Norway
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

Hi, again! Are you thinking one night at each place, or are you still deciding? You don´t want to end up driving the whole stay ;)

Maybe one of these:

www.panzano.com/en/luxury_villa_hotels.htm

Villa Sangiovese is in the square of Panzano, which is a beutiful village not far from Greve. The cool think about Panzano is that this is where Italy´s most famous butcher, Dario Cecchini, lives and has his three restaurants. A truly amazing experience!

http://www.solociccia.it/

If you want to live on a small, beautiful winery, I have stayed here, and really liked it:

http://www.casaloste.it/main.htm

Between Panzano and Greve

Hope this helps!

I also recommend taking a lunch trip to Volpaia, which is truly amazing!

Heidi :)

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

You have to check for an Agriturismo in Pienza's area.

There are some really nice on the hills...I'm sure you are going to enjoy a lot.

Or, if you want somenthing nice and particular, check for il Felcino, near Fabro. Is Umbria but you are at 30/40 minutes of drive from Pienza, Montepulciano, 1 hour from Cortona...you can do a romantic ride there, is really nice, and food is fantastic!

Boston...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

Thanks again everyone... I think we're leaning towards Pienza. From everything I have been reading, it seems this area and its surrounding areas are going to be what more likely fits to what we're looking for. I was going to book either the San Gregario or the Piccolo Hotel La Valle. Any opinions on either place?

Heidi... thanks for all your help and input. I was seriously considering the Chianti area because I LOVE wine and proximity to central Tuscany but it seemed a little more pricier than further south.

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

I highly recommend Il Chiostro in Pienza http://www.relaisilchiostrodipienza.com/ it is right in the city centre and has a fantastiic restaurant with amazing views over the Val d'Orcia. From Pienza you can easily visit Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano and all the lovely villages of southern Tuscany.

10. Re: Please help for our honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 05:17