We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Bridgewater, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Just getting started on planning a May/June trip to Tuscany. We want to fly in and out of Rome and spend a few days there before flying back to the US.

What are the must see towns and attractions for a week long stay.? Should we rent a car?

Any pitfalls to avoid along the way?

Thanks

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,092 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Renting a car is the best way to visit the hill towns of Tuscany. You can do it on your schedule because if you try to use trains/buses you're subject to their schedules.

Everyone has their own favorites in Tuscany, but we've fallen in love with the Val d'Orcia, the area around Montalcino, Pienza, and Montepulciano. We feel it's the most beautiful area in Tuscany, and there's plenty to see and do. Montalcino is the center of the Brunello wine area and there are lots of wineries producing it around the town.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 03:12
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Should you only have seven days for your trip, the most you can expect to experience is two areas.

www.romeinfo.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Train Rome to Florence www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html tickets you can purchase when you arrive in Italy.

From Florence you can visit Pisa in the morning and Lucca in the afternoon, the three towns are connected by train.

Siena can be reached by Sitabus www.sitabus.it "Toscana"

Accommodation www.venere.com

International flights www.momondo.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Hi,

You can actually visit heaps of wonderful villages if you drive from Rome to Tuscany.

Just get a good road map & google some routes with times & kms ( ie Rome to Lucca is approx 3.5hrs. ) & make an itinerary up of the villages that most interest you. We have driven all around Italy numerous times & its absolutely wonderful & very easy to do.

Here are some suggestions of routes - on the way to Tuscany visit Umbria.

Rome to Perugia approx 2.5hrs - visit the towns of Assisi, Spoleto, Spello, & the beautiful villages of Montefalco & Cortona.

Perugia to Montalcino approx 1.5hrs - visit / stay at the villages of Montepulciano, Piemza or Siena.

Montalcino to Lucca approx 2hrs - visit the villages of Montecatini Terme

& Montecarlo .

IMO, renting a car driving around the countryside of Umbria & Tuscany is absolutely a wonderful traveling experience.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

ladydi2468,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Here are some potential pitfalls, if you don't know all about them:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Essex
Level Contributor
34 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Hi,

My girlfriend and I did a week in Tuscany last year and thought it was amazing we went to:

•Lucca

•Pisa

•Grosseto

•Siena

•Arezzo

Florence

Lucca and Siena were two of our personal favourites and the walk up the Torre del Mangia is well worth the effort and the admission fee, the views are stunning.

If you have a car (which I believe is the best way to get around) I would recommend taking the SR222 which takes you through the winding country roads of the Chianti wine region and is a brilliant way to arrive in Florence.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 12:15
Bridgewater, New...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Thanks! If I may ask....where was your base location?

Essex
Level Contributor
34 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

Hi,

We didn't really have a single base I think we were there for a total of 10 nights and we spent a night in each of the smaller places (Arezzo, Grosseto) and then 2 to 3 nights in the slightly larger places like Pisa, Siena, Florence.

But we just jumped in the car and drove all over. I remember one day we were walking around Arezzo and skys opened and it chucked it down, so we jumped in the car and went for a drive. We actually ended up in Perugia for the afternoon and evening.

Enjoy your trip.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

The biggest pitfall is trying to do it all in one trip. Your question about a "base" is a good one, rather than trying to move all of your stuff each day. We have booked two weeks at www.anticavetreria.net/ in the small walled city of Piegora just over the Tuscan border in Umbria for such a base. It is near the main RR station at Chiusi where you can arrive from Rome (about 2 Hours) or take a day trip to Florence and back. The rest of the area of central Tuscany and Umbria is within a 60 to 90 minute drive. I would recommend the website above, even if that is not the kind of place you wish to stay, because of all of the information Colleen has included about the region including day-trips, wineries, etc. Umbria is even more fascinating to me than Tuscany. Enjoy, and hope this helps. Mike

Edited: 15 January 2011, 07:43
10. Re: Help me plan our Tuscany vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2012, 07:17