We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

Hi -

We are a couple in our mid 40's arriving Italy in April.

This is what I basically have planned :

20/4 - Arrive Rome + overnight (already been to Rome)

21/4 - Morning Rome (Jewish Quarter), Rent a car and rive to Cortona Overnight in Cortona

22/4 - Drive to Sienna, Overnight

23/4 - Sienna to San Gimignano - Florence (overnight in Florence)

24/4 - Sightsee Florence

25/4 - Florence - Livorno - Pisa - Lucca - Florence

26/4 - Florence - Rome - flight back home in the evening.

Should I stay the 3 nights in Florence or prefer a different base city in Tuscany?

Ww are mostly intrested in wine, cheese and of course the beautiful views!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

Sounds very do-able!

If you really like wine, beautiful scenery, etc. you might consider routing your drive from Siena to Florence to go through Chianti. Just follow the Ss222 road all the way. It takes you through some of the most gorgeous country on the planet and you'll have plenty of opportunities to taste wine, extra virgin olive oil and all the other local products this land is known for.

Florence is a fine base for you. Get rid of your car as soon as you arrive. You won't need it and it's more trouble than it's worth.

In Florence be sure to visit the synagogue - simply beautiful.

Take the Frecciarossa fast train back to Rome - 90 minutes!

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

It sounds doable but way too much. What are you going to see like this? You could just as well look at photos on Flickr!

I would skip Livorno at least, not much to see there and it takes away time from Pisa and Lucca, each of which would deserve a day on its own. I would choose one or the other.

Slow down, it's too much.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

I agree, way too much and definitely too much moving hotels. Don't underestimate how time consuming packing and unpacking, checking in and out of hotels etc can be. If it were me, I would choose one base (Florence) for the whole trip or two at the most (excluding your overnight in Rome).

If you stayed in Florence for the whole trip, all the places you want to see, can be done by public transport, so you could forget about having a car. However, you say you want to see the views, so to see the best of the countryside you do need a car. You could stay somewhere in or near Siena for a few days then return the car to Florence airport for your stay there.

You must make sure you are fully informed about the limited traffic zones and parking regulations, or you will end up with a nasty fine, or two! Please take the time to read the following article, which will tell you all about it:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

I also agree that Pisa, Lucca and Livorno is too much and that Livorno could be dropped.

Edited: 30 January 2011, 10:29
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

I agree with Peggypatch - too much! You'll be exhausted and won't remember a thing when you go home!

Here are my two alternative ideas:

1) Rent the car in Rome, spend your first night somewhere wonderful like Siena or a small town nearby. Then drive to Florence via Chianti as TGIFlorence suggested, through Chianti. When you get to Florence get rid of the car. You can do a day trip by train to Livorno and Pisa. By the way, as I notice you are from Haifa and that you'll be visiting the Jewish quarter in Rome, you'll probably want to keep Livorno in your plans as it is supposed to have an important Jewish community and history!

2) Forget about the car, take a train to Florence and make it the base for the whole time. With the money you'll save by not renting a car, you can hire a guide to take you through Chianti - and you won't have to deal with driving while you're tasting.

In both cases, take the fast train back to Rome at the end of your stay.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

OK! I hear you guys, we'll ditch the car :-)

Thank you!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

Sound better?

20/4 - Arrive Rome + overnight (already been to Rome)

21/4 - Morning Rome (Jewish Quarter), Rent a car and drive to Sienna via Cortona . Overnight Sienna.

22/4 - Drive to Florence via San Gimignano and return the car in Florence.

23/4 - Florence & Chianti sightseeing (hired guide?)

24/4 - Florence to Livorno, public transport.

25/4 - Florence to Pisa, public transport.

26/4 - Florence - Rome - by fast train

South East England...
Level Contributor
4,963 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

Hi

In my opinion I would definitely drop Pisa and spend the day exploring the beautiful medieval walled city of Lucca. You can take a leisurely walk or cycle around the walls, have a long lunch in one of the many restaurants, climb the Guinigi tower which has trees growing on the top and has lovely views of rooftop Lucca and the surrounding hills, or just wander around the streets soaking up the atmosphere. You can have a very relaxing day there.

mesh

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
43 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

But be in Italy and so close to Pisa and not see the leaning tower is kind of like visiting Israel and not eating falafel, no?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

You can get a train to Pisa, see the tower, and then walk 5 minutes to Pisa San Rossore station, which is on the Lucca line, and go onto to Lucca for the rest of the day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuscany in April - Glad for ur inputs on itinerary

HI,

You could see Pisa & Lucca in one day. I don't see the point of dropping your car off & then hiring a driver the next day.

Why not see Chianti & San Gimignano before Florence with your car & drop it off when you arrive in Florence.

You don't need a car in Florence or Rome.