We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

Paradise CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

I Love Love Italy. I have been twice and have seen most of the major tourist destinations in the Rome - Florence area and Venice and Assisi, as well as Cinque Terre. This time I want to spend most of my time in the Tuscany area and for sure want to see Pisa and Lucca. Maybe Bologna? Verona? I have seen Siena but maybe some of the other hill towns? I am traveling with a girl friend and we probably won't rent a car. So it's the train or hired transport for us. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated. If it wasn't for the help I got from Trip Advisor the previous two trips would not have been near as successful as they were.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

What about San Gimignano, Montepulciano, & Montalcino. - gorgeous Tuscany towns.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

After Lucca and Pisa you may wish to do San G as Ellemay suggests and near there, Volterra (and the artists working in alabaster) on your way to Siena. From there it is 70 K's to Pienza, the Val d'Orcia and Montepulciano. Pushing east from there you have Umbria and a host of beautiful towns besides Assisi: Orvieto, Todi, Spoleto, Norcia, Spello and the ceramists of Deruta and the wineries of Torgiano. Renting a car might be best and possibly less expensive than trains and buses while in Tuscany and Umbria. Hope this helps and know you will have a wonderful time.

Paradise CA
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

I know that renting a car must be the best way to get around but both my friend and I are a bit afraid of driving. All of the suggestions are so tempting but I do believe we will probably spend more time in fewer places. We are learning that as we get older the less moving around the less stress :) So we are going to for sure fly into Verona because we have friends who live there and then take the train into the tuscany area and fly out of Pisa. Before going to Pisa we will have 10 or 11 days. We will probably choose 3 base towns and take day trips from there. I believe San G will be one, Lucca another but not sure about the third. BTW can you recommend a day trip tour company? Last time we used Rebecca from Wine Tours? Don't really remember the company name but Rebecca was very good.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

Perugia! Gorgeous hilltop town with great shopping, great bars for nightlife and train connection to Assissi, Spello, Spoleto, Gubbio and others.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

Cortona? Also good train connections (though you bus or cab down to the station from the hilltop town) and so much quieter, safer, charming than Perugia.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

If you will not have a car then you are seriously limiting your realistic choices of base and destination. Verona is lovely and Bologna well worth a few days. After that you could travel to Cortona for a few nights. As lastraniera suggests, you can easily access the train station by bus or taxi and from there could day trip by train to Arezzo and Orvieto easily enough. After that, I would move on to Siena for 5 days or so. From there you can access Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Monteriggione and San Gimignano, mainly by bus. The buses are not terribly regular though, so you will need to plan carefully and have an up to date timetable. Finally I would transfer to Lucca and from there you can day trip to Barga by bus or Pisa, Viareggio, and even Cinque Terre by train.

7. Re: Third visit to Italy - What to see this time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 16:19