We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

toronto
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

Hello,

We will be travelling to Tuscany at the beginning of September. We will have around 4-5 nights. We are very interested in countryside, fine wines, dining etc. What would be the best place to base ourselves? We do not want to rent a car, but rather hire a driver for a few days. We would love to visit Chianti region and spend some time in Val D'Orcia. Is this realistic given how much time we have? How far are these points from each other?

Thanks in advance for all the feedback!

Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,738 reviews
from US$112.60*
Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan...
1,322 reviews
from US$122.60*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,093 reviews
from US$112.60*
Pisa, Siena and San Gimignano Day...
303 reviews
from US$100.10*
United States
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

There are good suggestions and planning tips already prepared for you in the Top Question section to your right on the Tuscany pages.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c128287/Tusca…

TAB

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

Here are three articles that should help you:

Where should we base ourselves in Tuscany?

athomeintuscany.org/2011/…

What to see in Northern Tuscany?

What to see in Southern Tuscany?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
227 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

I would consider Siena or Lucca. Both are great bases [Siena is a hill town and Lucca is not.] and you should be able to easily get a driver from both.

pinkvalise.blogspot.com

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
20 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

I am currently in Montecarlo, Lucca, which is a smaller sister to Lucca and as yet, largely undiscovered by tourists. I could not recommend it more. We love our location. We are walking distance to several wineries and just returned from wine tasting. We have rented a car as well and it is an easy and pleasant drive to Chianti (Greve, Radda, Castilliano) as well as to the seaside. If you contact the proprietors of Antica Casa dei Rassicurati, I think it is just Anticacasadeirassicurati.com and ask them for a discount or a longer term stay, they will likely acommodate you. I dont think a driver would work out here, but you will have plenty of amazing restaurants and wineries o choose from within walking distance. There is a five star Michelin rated restaurant right outside the walls that is one of the best Ive ever eaten in. We didnt expect that. Stay out of Florence. Lucca is also beautiful as well as another unknown city, Certaldo Alto. We have visited but not stayec overnight.

5. Re: Tuscany trip - where should we base ourselves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 13:16