We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day trips from Siena

Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best day trips from Siena

My husband and I are spending one week just outside of Siena, and want to use it as a homebase for daytripping Tuscany. In your opinion, what would be the best use of one day in that area? We have a car.

Last time, we went to Montepulciano, Montalcino & Sant'Antimo, and Pienza, and will only return if we have time after checking out new sights. We have already booked a wine tour & lunch at Barone Ricasoli, and plan on spending at least one day in Chianti.

Walkabout Florence Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Day Trips
Artviva: The Original & Best Tours Italy
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
FlorenceTown
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Fun in Tuscany
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day trips from Siena

As you have already been to the Val d'Orcia, how about Monteriggioni, the upper town of Colle di Val d'Elsa and then ending up in San Gimignano in the late afternoon when most of the tourists have gone?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
627 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day trips from Siena

Maybe Volterra. A nice hilltop town, that is spectacularly located, with etruscan remains, and alabaster museums and shops. And I think it would also combine with for example Monterrigione.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day trips from Siena

The Monteriggione and Voltera combo looks like a good idea, so you pass by San Gimigano and view the towers from a far.

Another day trip we enjoy is take a ride to the coast down to Follonica and the beach.

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day trips from Siena

The abbey of San Galgano is very beautiful. Cortona is another great town. Arezzo is a very nice city. I second Volterra too. The hot springs in Bagno Vignoni and Petriolo might be another nice day out.

Toronto
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day trips from Siena

What wonderful suggestions. Would the beach by Follonica be really busy? We are going the first 2 weeks of August, and I heard many of the Italian locals hit the beaches at that time.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day trips from Siena

I would expect it to be busy as you correctly stated that half of Italy takes off for the beach in August.

Take a look at Il Giglio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giglio_Island

Depending on where you are staying you can drive to Porat Stefano where you catch the ferry in 1 to 1.5 hours

The ferry ride alone is worth the effort. The beache there might be less crowded

7. Re: Best day trips from Siena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 03:18