We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport into the area from airports

Papos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
public transport into the area from airports

We have been invited to stay just north of Poggibonsi in summer 2012 and we can arrive into Milan, Bologna or Rome.

Are there significant difference in cost/time when using public transport from the respective airports that i should consider before buying flights ? Also how close can we get to Poggibonsi using said public transport ?

Also whilst at this location can public transport be used reliably to visit attractions in the local or wider areas, or would hire of a car be suggested ?

UK
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport into the area from airports

You can reach Poggibonsi by train from all three of the cities you mention but Bologna has the shortest journey 1hr 50mins as against 3hrs and is about half the price of the others. There is also a regular shuttle bus to the train station from Bologna airport..

I'd recommend renting a car whist at Poggibonsi

http://www.trenitalia.com/

Papos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport into the area from airports

Both Milan and Bologna are now available for the same flight price, Milan with a 'regular' airline vs Bologna with a 'budget' airline, with all extras in the Milan is coming in a little cheaper, and with a bonus of the flying days allowing us to stay a few days longer ...

but

Milano Centrale <> Poggibonsi-S. Gimignano is not delivering any results on trenitalia for the days in question, do i need to book two legs eg Milan >STATIONX>Poggibonsi ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport into the area from airports

On a number of routes, Trenitalia does not yet have information posted beyond a timetable change on 10 December. Also costs of local (Regionale) trains are not shown more than 7 days ahead.

The times are unlikely to change much, so use a date in the next week for your planning.

You cannot book for travel more than 60 days ahead, and it is absolutely pointless to make advance bookings for Regionale trains.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport into the area from airports

The summer 2012 schedule isn't online and won't be before mid-May, Florence-Poggibonsi possibly only in the first week of June. There is no need to prebook Malpensa-Florence, unless you're travelling right around the August 15 holiday, and Florence-Poggibonsi can never be prebooked.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport into the area from airports

Getting to Poggibonsi by public transport is indeed very doable and if you can easily get into Poggibonsi itself, you will have easy access via train or bus to places like Siena, Florence and San Gimignano. However, if you are staying for any length of time and want to explore the region, then you will really need a hire car as the places you can visit by public transport will be limited.

Papos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport into the area from airports

I've looked at the prices on the websites and return train Poggibonsi journeys are coming out at Bologna €222, Milan €395 and Rome €390. I'm almost wondering if getting a taxi would be worth considering, even if price is up there it might be more flexible !?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport into the area from airports

Where on earth did you get those prices? I have just checked on the Trenitalia web site, and the return prices are: from Bologna €60.60, from Milan €116.60, from Rome €100.60.

Get your prices from www.trenitalia.com

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: public transport into the area from airports

How many people are those fares for? Bologna-Poggibonsi return with ES EV to Florence is 82.60 Euro in *first* class, 60.60 Euro in second.

You can't take a taxi from an airport in Bologna, Milan or Rome to Poggibonsi; you have to book a hired car and driver online. One Siena-based driver charges 530 Euro *one way* for up to three people from Milan Malpensa to Siena and 385 Euro *one way* from Rome to Florence. Poggibonsi might be somewhat less.

How flexible does it have to be? There are connections once an hour from Bologna.

Papos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: public transport into the area from airports

sorry ! my bad - the prices were for three of us. but my notes were based on single trips bought twice rather than buying a return .....

*** Train from Milan > Poggibonsi

Part 1 : Airport > Central Station

45m : 3rd stop from airport @ €7 per person

Part 2 : Milan > Florence

1hr50m : stops once at Bologna @ €71/€53 (first/second class) per person

Part 3 : Florence > Poggibonsi

1h5m : 6th stop from Florence @ €5.30 per person

4hrs in trains each way, costing €396 return (for 3 of us)

*** Train from Bologna > Poggibonsi

Part 1 : Airport > Station

20m : 6 stops on the bus @ €6 per person

Part 2 : Bologna > Florence

40m : stops once at Bologna @ €36/€25 (first/second class) per person

2hrs in transport each way, costing €222 return (for 3 of us)

*** Train from Rome > Poggibonsi

Part 1 : Airport > Termini

30m : direct @ €14 per person

Part 2 : Rome Termini > Florence

1h40m : direct @ €63/€45 (first/second class) per person

3 hrs in trains each way, costing €390 return (for 3 of us)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: public transport into the area from airports

Sounds like hiring a car from the airport would be the most cost effective and useful thing you could do.