We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

We are spending 3 nights in Florence, arriving from Rome and leaving for Lucca -- so 2 full days and 2 half days.

Would it be worthwhile to get out of the city and spend the second full day in Siena, leaving a full day + 2 half days in Florence?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

Siena may be my favorite city in Italy but I would still not do this on a first trip to Florence that is so short. your day coming and going leaves you very little time -- those days are pretty much a waste and that gives you only two full days -- not enough time to do more than scratch the surface of Florence's art treasures

I would want to have seen: Uffizi, Bargello, Academia, Brancacci Chapel (best thing in Florence IMHO), Musee San Marco, Santa Croce, Santa Maria Novella, San Lorenzo, Ponte Vecchio, Piazzale Michelangelo, San Miniato (church tucked above Piazzale Michelangelo with fabulous views -- and the church itself is wonderful -- monks sing vespers in the undercroft every evening) -- and many others -- not really time for a day trip

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

Thanks! Don't know if this changes your view, but we will have teenagers in tow...

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

I love Siena, even better then Florence, but you can not see everything in one trip to Tuscany. As Janet 44 stated, travel days are pretty much dead days. You will be surprised as to how tired you will be after your time in Rome.

The flow of Florence is very fast paced and adding a day trip to Siena will not be without stress. Plus I feel Siena makes a better place to base your self out of then a day trip destination. Once you made your desision to spend two nights in Lucca then you really don't have time to see Siena ( Although I think Siena is a great place for teenagers to safely explore).

Next trip see Siena..and there should always be a next trip to Italy!

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

Sounds like we should definitely not spend a day going to and from Siena.

Last attempt to squeeze in this side trip:

Would it make any sense to hire a guide with a car to take us from Rome to Florence via Siena -- turning a travel day from a "dead" day to an excursion? Logistics would include safekeeping of the luggage while visiting Siena, plus of course the cost of the driver/guide, but maybe we could spend an afternoon and evening in Siena that way?

Or just divide the day between Rome and Florence?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

Could you spend a night in Siena on the way to Florence? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers Siena to Florence. There's just something about it! Of all of the places we visited in our 2 weeks in Italy, Siena is one of the few that I would love to visit again!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

Normally with such a short amount of time, I would tell you to skip another city and just focus on Florence and that still might be the right thing to do, but I love Siena and if you are to do what you describe then I would consider it.

You do not need a guide really for Siena, so a less expensive approach may be for you to take a train to Siena from Rome, check your bags at the train station (if allowable since I have never done it so someone else can comment on if it is doable), tour Siena on your on (which is easily done and no guide is required for it) and then retrieve your luggage and train on to Florence.

The decision should be driven based on whether your cost of a driver (no guide) plus tip will exceed the cost of your train tickets.

New York
Level Contributor
321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

I'm considering taking our travel day between Rome and Florence, and using it to see some of the countryside and Siena. We could have a guide pick us up in Rome, show us some of the sights and stops along the way (including Siena) and leave us in Florence. At the end of the day,instead of taking the train.

I suppose our luggage would stay in the car or van, so we would have to hope that works out OK...

How does that sound?

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

Siena is one of my favorite places in Italy. By all means spend a night there on the way to Florence! We did this taking the bus from Rome. Be sure to be in Il Campo as it starts to get dark. It's a magical place.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

That plan should work and sounds like it would make you all happy too.

Bethesda, Maryland
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Siena "vs" a 3rd day in Florence?

In September, we are thinking of taking a day trip from Florence to Siena and then back to Florence. Does it take very long to get to Siena and back to Florence and should we take a speed train or bus?