We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation + advice

east anglia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accomodation + advice

Hello!

advice on 2 things really; what to help eliminate the idea or expand on it.

we are thinking of going to Italy (tuscany) in late september to early october.

firstly:

is this a bad time to go to the south of tuscany, weatherwise?

secondly:

we want to hire a small conversion (barn, shack, dwelling, ideally on a farm, preferably with a pool, self catering ideally. We have 2 kids under 2. But come laden with all the kit we need.

Where can you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Cartersville...
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation + advice

First off, definitely go to Tuscany....the weather is great that time of year and it is my preferred time to vacation (after May, that is).

Secondly, do not count on the pool being open/available that time of year. That is totally dependent on the property and the weather. Even my neighborhood pool here in Georgia, USA is closed by mid-September, and Tuscany is south, but it's not THAT far south--it is actually more likethe middle Italy.

That said, definitely get yourself a good guidebook....my preferred are the RIck Steves' series....which will get you started with some good properties, but I also really like to use www.venere.com even if I just look around because I can sort properties by location, type (hotel/B&B/farmhouse/self-catering, etc.), and price range as well as quality/star-rating. Book through Venere or directly with the property after you have selected.

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Georgia
United States
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation + advice

It is a lovely time of year to go, but you will be lucky if you can still use a pool at that time of year. The Rick Steve's books are not readily found in the UK and are loved my some and loathed by others. The DK guides are very visual and good for giving you an idea what you want to see, the Blue Guides are very good for detail.

An agriturismo could be what you are looking for if you want to stay on a farm - try www.agriturismi.it if you decide you want an apartment or villa of your own then try some of the owners direct websites such as holiday-rentals, holiday lettings or owners direct. Try to choose somewhere that has a number reviews posted about it, so you know you are getting what is advertised.

east anglia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation + advice

Thankyou both very much.

Top tips as well.

I find the searches on the Lettings sites so mind boggling after a while.

Need personal recommendation ultimately.

Little bolthole in the Val d'orcia?

Sienese splendour with a swimming pool?

Or volterran villa with a vista?

UK
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation + advice

This accommodtion might suit and has availability at the time you require. We've never stayed here but the agency was recommended to us by friends we trust. Their website makes interesting browsing.

summersleases.com/tuscany-farm-apartment.cfm

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation + advice

vanilli,

This may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation + advice

Beautiful time to go and southern Tuscany is my favorite, but awfully hard to recommend without a better idea of length of stay, timetable and what you want to do.

east anglia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation + advice

Well, a fortnight 10 days straddling sep&oct, pootling about the hill top towns, interspersed with days in the pool, looking at views, soaking up sunsets, eating on the terrace and sampling rustic labeless local wines.

London
Level Contributor
265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation + advice

Thats an easy one

For hilltop locations Lucca allows the traveller to see just what hill top really means. With it's villages clinging into valley tops and mountain edges it a super location.

Great for wild bor sauces and meat dishes with fresh mountain mushrooms aplenty

Pools should be open until mid Ooctober but youshould ask property owners for pool closure dates

How much hmmmmmm not more than £600 for a private house plus pool. And please try and get a flat rate for central heating ...don't fall for that "as per used" rubbish that some property owners say. Try searching on here under Bagni Di lucca or holiday rentals.

Good luck

John

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation + advice

So not much interest in going to churches, museums and things like that - just want to relax and soak up the local beauty and eat, drink and be merry (which would be awesome)?

Do you intend to stay all 10 nights in Tuscany? Where are you planning to fly into and out of? Any lodging budget per night that you are thinking about and do you want to stay the entire time in Tuscany in one house?

east anglia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation + advice

Ideally, we just want to have a base for the whole 10 days.

Depending on where we get to stay, we are looking to fly into either Pisa or Rome. Maybe some museums, but the main object is to nourish the physical soul and not essentially ignite the cerebral processes, however if we should find something on our merry way, then so be it.

Budgetwise: yes: I'm sure for 400€ a night we could get all that we desire, however we are looking for something small, detached and rural. It needs a kitchen and a bedroom, preferably a cot or 2, access to a pool and nit much else. 50-70€ a night is more of our target.

Rustic, basic, rural