We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

South Shields...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

Hi

myself and my wife are visiting Tuscany for the first time on the 13th June 2012 staying for 1 week. We fly into Pisa from England and are looking for somewhere to base ourselves so we can drive to the surrounding countryside and sights or take a train to Florence (as well as me being able to watch the Euro 2012 football!).

any suggestions?

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

Hi

Have a look at the beautiful medieval walled city of Lucca to see if it's what you are after.

mesh

South Shields...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

cheers mesh we've looked a Lucc but we're looking to stay further south towards Sienna

Edited: 29 August 2011, 16:37
South East England...
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

OK

mesh

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
877 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

You might like Greve in Chianti. It is south, between Florence and Sienna along the "Chianti Road". We stopped there for lunch once and liked the little town with its piazza and restaurants. Lots of vinyards to visit. You will need a car and you will be within 90 minutes of Florence, Sienna, San Gimiginano and Arezzo. Everyone at TA advises not to drive in Florence so you may want to arrange your pick up outside the city center.

If it we me, I'd look into a B&B or Agritourismo to get an authentic Tuscany experience.

Edited: 29 August 2011, 18:04
5. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 October 2011, 02:05
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

We love Southern Tuscany and especially the area called the Val d'Orcia (we have stayed in Chianti also but we really prefer the Val d'Orcia). It is postcard perfect and is roughly situated between Siena, Pienza, Montalcino, and Montepulciano.

All of those towns are worthy of a visit. In addition, consider the following, Orvieto (a bit out of the way but very nice), Volterra (again a bit out of the way but nice and not crowded and has a superb Etruscan Museum and Roman ruins .... I personally like it a lot more than San Gimignano which many people go to visit in Tuscany), Lucca (again a bit out of the way), San Quirico d'Orcia (very close to Pienza). In Chianti, Greve in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Panzano, Gaiole in Chianti and Castellina are all worthy of consideration for visits and can be accessed via drive from the Val d'Orcia region.

The only real issue in picking a spot would be how convenient to the train line to Florence you would want it to be and do you want to tie into that schedule. If you don't you could always drive to a town like Siena that has easy train and bus access to Florence or you could park on the outskirts of Florence and take a bus into town (or cab).

South Shields...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

I think at the minute there's just too much choice as every where looks exactly what we're after - wine tasting, vineyards, traditional restaurants, hill top towns and castles, relaxing with a few drinks at night (hopefully with a bit of footy!) - where do you start?

I've narrowed it down to accomodation with a pool, nice outside space, reasonable driving distance to Montepulciano, Sienna etc and where we can walk to a couple of restaurants/bars at night. Somewhere off the Chiantigiani is looking a good bet so I'll keep looking.

thanks for the responses and I'll let you know where we end up.

mh

Edited: 30 August 2011, 22:43
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

You put it very well.

"too much choice as every where looks exactly what we're after "

We are having that same problem. Good luck with your search.

9. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 23:18