We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about Certaldo Alto

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me about Certaldo Alto

I'm trying to figure out if I should include Certaldo Alto into my Tuscan itinerary. I'm attacted to Certaldo from what I have read, but I'm wondering if it is different enough from other Hill Towns to warrent a stop.

As background we will have 9 full days in Tuscany, staying in Castellina, Pienza & Lucca. We will be seeing all the well known towns in addition to the above, Siena, Montalcino, etc..

Thanks!

Upper Maremma...
Level Contributor
770 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about Certaldo Alto

The old town is nice. But the only real difference is that it's surrounded by a very industrialized new part. Worth a visit if you have time.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about Certaldo Alto

It's practically on the way from Lucca to Castellina, so I don't think you need to agonize much about the decision.

When we have a driving holiday in rural Italy, we go where the spirit leads us. Some of our greatest stops were totally unplanned.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about Certaldo Alto

It's worth a brief visit for a quiet stroll or if you have a big interest in Boccaccio http://www.certaldo-info.com/ However, it really doesn't compare with the other places you plan to visit and you seem to have an extremely packed itinerary. My advice is to omit Certaldo.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about Certaldo Alto

We agree with Casina di Rosa: we really like Certaldo, mostly because it's really pretty and hardly anyone is ever there. There's not much to see or do (except, of course, to pay respects at Boccaccio's tomb slab and inhale gorgeous clean air while walking the streets), and that's what makes it very nice. We also love to eat at Osteria del Vicario (www.osteriadelvicario.it).

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me about Certaldo Alto

Thanks for all your responses. It doesn't seem to be a must see. I agree my itinerary is pretty packed, so getting to Certaldo would have to be wedged in, probably at the expense of some time in Siena. So unless a few hours open up unexpectedly, I will probably give it a miss.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Tell me about Certaldo Alto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 00:18