We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tours-Vineyards

4 posts
Save Topic
Wine Tours-Vineyards

Hello, as part of our 15 trip to Italy in October my husband and I will be staying in the Tuscany region for four days after we leave Florence. I have read several books, blogs, forums, etc but still am a little confused, wondering if you can help. Everything seems very spread out and have read that a lot of the vineyards need reservations. We have been to Napa Valley, CA and would just drive from one to the next and others we had reservations. Is there a way to find a good list of who needs reservations and what the rules or standards are for wine country area or your advice as to spend our four days? Thanks!

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
816 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

One option would be a local guide for a day of wine touring. I can recommend Susan Santorni. She picked us up in Florence and we spent a delightful day with her touring vineyards. Lunch was in a medieval village and the food was terrific. You can find contact info for her by searchng her name on TA

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

Take a look at:

http://www.chianticlassico.com/

tuscany-wine.com/visit_tuscan_wine_estates.h…

Where in Tuscany will you be staying?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

I would also recommend a driver. The drinking & driving laws in Italy are much stricter than in the US, so you don't want to taste & then drive. The other option is to spit out what you taste so you can drive without worry. That's why we got a driver. ;)

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

jerryott or anyone wlse who knows:

I followed the link and came upon this list: http://www.tuscany-wine.com/denominations.htm What do those colored dots mean? I could not find a key.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

I suspect the dots indicate the types of wine produced under each label ie red dot = red wine, green dot = white wine, orange dot = sweet (dessert) wine and the pink dot = rose. Though I was surprised to see so many pink dots as I didn't realise much rose was produced around here.

Edited: 10 September 2011, 04:05
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

And a yellow dot is spumante or bubbly. I was surprised to see that there were *any* of those.

7. Re: Wine Tours-Vineyards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 17:18