We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Hi, We will be driving to Rome from CT with another couple who have not been to Italy before. We only have about three days to take in some of Tuscany (not including Florence) and was wondering the best route to cover some of the towns that keep being mentioned in the forums ie Siena, San G, Montalcino, Volterra, Montelpulciano, Cordona. etc etc. - without backtracking. So for instance stop in San G o'nite then proceed further south and then stay at "X", if you get what I mean. OR should we just travel to a point midway, then drive back and around to visit some of these places.

I have seen many variations on preferences of which towns you must see on the forums, but I would appreciate some suggestions given our limited time frame. thank you for any assistance. GBlyn

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,945 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

You loose several hours every time you change hotel: packing up, checking out, checking in, unpacking. The area you want to see is quite small: choose one town to stay and do trips from there.

My choice would be Montepulciano: large enough to have a good selection of shops and restaurants; small enough that parking is not a major problem. But doubtless other people will suggest other places.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Just spent a week on a agritourismo just below Montepulciano and loved it. Great area to explore with a car. Stay in one place wherever you choose!

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Other then staying in one place it is pretty much a shot at dart board, where ever you end up will be wonderful.

My choice after CT would be

Siena with a day trip to either the Chianti(North) area or the Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino southern area.

Siena is a nice midsize city with lots to keep you occupied and you can also rest up for the "Rome Experience"

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Thank you for all your responses. All sounds good. I will pull out a map and check out some accommodation to see whether Siena or Montepulciano.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Just to give another viewpoint, I would suggest you think about leaving CT in the morning and seeing Pisa (if you haven't already) in about two hours and then continue on to Volterra for the night. Leave Volterra midday the next day after seeing the Etruscan Museum and some of the alabaster studios (which are unique to this area-see www.alabart.com). Proceed to San G. and on to Siena and see the Cathedral and drive late after noon to Pienza and stay for two days. You can easily use the two days seeing Montalcino, Pienza, Sant Antimo and Montepulciano and other small hill towns of the Val D'Orcia and then head for Rome with a stop possibly in Orvieto on the way. When we were there in September Volterra and Pienza were our two favorite Tuscan towns. Just another alternative.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

I hope this plan is some way away as of course Cinque Terre was hit very badly in the recent floods and no one knows when it will be open for business again at the moment.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,945 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

The only coastal places seriously affected by the floods were Vernazza, Monterosso, and Levanto. In the Cinque Terre, there was no significant effect on Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore: these three villages are open for business right now.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Good to know. How about the trails, do you know what state they are in?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,945 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

I have not seen reports on the trails: I suspect they are badly damaged.

Reports from Monterosso and Vernazza suggest that the cleanup is going well, and that these villages expect to be open for business by the start of the season in April. Obviously, the extent of the damage varies, and some businesses may not be repaired by then.

There have been suggestions that it could take a long time to restore road access to Vernazza, but the trains are running.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Cinque Terre to Rome - best route through Tuscany area

Interesting. Thanks Nick.