We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary question

Jkh
Washington DC
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary question

We have two weeks plus to spend in Tuscany. We will have Siena or Greve (recommend one over the other?) as our base accommodation. Can someone (experts?) tell me how long the two of us should spend in each of the following: (which ones are day trips/how many to do in one day, traveling from from Siena or Greve):

Siena, Arezzo, Pisa,Montepulciano, Lucca ,Corono, Monacantini, Volterra, Pienza, Montalcino and San Gimignano

We will first be in Bologna (recommended days?) before goingto our base, Sienna or Greve). We have been to Florence (twice)and so probably will not go back

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary question

Lets see if I can help a little: 1. Volterra and San. G are just west of Siena and are/can be a one day trip from Siena. Pisa and Lucca are close to each other but not to any of the others. Arezzo and Cortona can be a one day trip from Siena. Pienza, Mantalcino and Montepulciano are close together and Sant Antimo is just south of Montacino but in my mind are worth more than one day.

I don't believe that Greve is very convenient to any of them other than Siena as getting through the Chianti on Route 222 is going to take a fairly ong time both going and coming back. Google maps can help you sort these relationships out and provide distance/ estimated driving times. Hope this helps.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary question

First, what season are you going?

Second, I assume you will have a car the entire time

Three: How many is "we"

I would use Siena as a base for one week. You can even dump the car for your last three days there. Day trip North, East and West

I would then spend the rest of your time in southern Tuscany, either Montalcino or Montepulciano as a base for so you can visit that area and get the feel of a smaller city.

Greve makes no sense as a base to see Tuscany.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary question

Here is a problem with hitting small towns/villages one after another.. Just about every shop closes down for lunch and siesta from about 12:00 to anywhere between 2:00 and 3:00, which will make that particular town/village visited during the lunch/siesta time extremely unattractive. The metal shutters will be pulled down on storefronts making the town look abandoned. In addition, many of the shops close Sundays and half day on Mondays, so it is not only how many can be visited in one day but also on what days of the week and how to space the visits (e.g., early morning stop in San G., drive over to Voltera and have leisurely lunch awaiting the alabaster shops to open).

Jkh
Washington DC
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary question

Thank you for Your very helpful comments. I understand the closing times, etc. Since we are in no hurry, that won't pose a problem (we will picnic, or whatever).

The "we" would be two of us.

We will be there in mid May and even into June.

We will have a car for as much or as little as we need based on bus/train availability to these wonderful towns.

I agree, Greve is not a good base ; I agree with yoou that Siena is a good base for a week or even longer. Thanks.

Again, thanks to all of you for the good advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,113 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary question

Now consider where in Siena. It is good to stay right in the town but you can't take cars past the parking lots just inside the walls, except with prior arrangement to load and unload.

There are two hotels with parking I believe. The Palazzo Ravissa gets good reviews on TA. I am not sure what the other one is.

If you want self catering with parking I don't recall any mentions on TA but it could be worth asking that question specifically.

Siena is on top of a hill so you do want somewhere inside the walls. It is a beautiful town in which to stay, but you could also stay in Montepulciano, Montalcino or even the small but delightful Pienza.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,224 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary question

I would say you will definitely need a car as bus services are infrequent and timed around the commuting locals and train stations down in the valleys, miles below hilltowns. Do read up on ZTLs and parking regualtions though, to avoid nasty fines. See here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

7. Re: Itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2012, 10:27