We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

Hey there...after Rome and Amalfi Coast, we are then going to pick up a car in Sorrento and drive to a villa/BB&B not far from Cortona/Arezzo (Castiglion Fiorentino).

Please help me with our itinerary...

Info: We are a couple in our 30's celebrating our 1 year anniversary. After 6 days in Rome/Sorrento we are looking to slow down and enjoy a more relaxed time in Tuscany. However there are SO many things we want to see and do (cooking class). I need help deciding.....

Day One

Drive from Sorrento to Castigilion/Arezzo (long trip) but thought we could break it up by stopping in Orvieto on the way.

Day Two- Monetpulciano/Pienza

Day Three- Cortona (cooking class)

Day Four - Assisi

Day Five- drive to Siena and SPEND NIGHT in Siena

Day Six - Spend Day in Siena and then drive to Rome Airport Hotel for early morning flight.

QUESTION: should we spend the night in Siena or just day trip there from our villa? I feel like Siena would be really great at night after the tour buses/day trippers leave- even if it is just for one night. I really want to spend a day in Montepulciano and Assisi and want to do a Cooking Class but that gives us no day just to chill at the villa?

Decisions, decisions. The plan was for Tuscany to be relaxing...but I seem to be over-planning. Any suggestions?

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

That makes me tired just reading it! When you say 6 days in Rome & Sorrento are you talking 6 days total between the two? Whew..that would be difficult with all the time in travel. I would slow it down a bit. You are going to love the Amalfi Coast and I am guessing not want to leave! I would spend most of the 6 days there.

Montepulciano/ Pienza area is so Beautiful!! Why not stay around there the rest of the time? That area is so easy to get around in and has take your breath away beautiful drives! If you base from there you can easily visit the other towns. When you see picture post cards of Tuscany that is where most of them are taken.

Last time we stayed there we drove to Assisi to take a cooking class that was the best! In fact we have taken from her twice and will probably do it again! I wrote a review on this board about her. www.incampagna.com

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

Casale di Brolo could suit youbeing in convinient location with staff helping you replanning day trips and timing. Orvieto is fantastic but very close to your final destination. If you like some shopping, drive off to Valmontone Outlet Centre before Rome ring road. It take less than 10 minutes from the autostrada exit and have phiso facilities ( food, toilets etc.)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

I would stay in Castiglion Fiorentino and day trip from your villa to Siena. If you are not afraid of driving at night (it really is an easy drive back to CF from Siena), then stay late. Remember though, your schedule is flexible (other than the day of cooking class). Feel not up to going to Assisi - then don't. Stay close by and explore Arezzo for half a day and spend the rest at your villa by the pool - or whatever. But instead of packing up, checking out and driving (and then checking in) - just make Siena a day trip. It is really no more than an hour away. Where are you staying in CF?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

Thanks for suggestions!

Cat- we are staying at Casa Portagioia. It sounds beautiful and would be a shame to stay at such a nice place and not get to enjoy it! I seriously need to slow down this itinerary or my husband is not going to be a happy man! I promised him Tuscany would be the "relaxing" part...and so I need to stop over-planning and just show up and go with the flow.

LWJJ- ahhh we are only staying in Sorrento for 3 days. Boo...I wish I had more time to go! I used Frequent Flyer miles for my flight so that locked us in to 12 nights. But we can get a taste of Amalfi Coast and then go back another time for a whole week. My dream trip is all about Tuscany so that is why we are spending so much time there.

So we will do 3 nights Rome (Coliseum, Vatican, and FREE day), 3 nights Sorrento (Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi), and then 5 nights in Tuscany where the only thing that is set in stone is a cooking class.

Thank you!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

Casa Portagioia is lovely. Relax. It will all be good.

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

well, it's only my 25 cents worth but Siena deserves as much time as you can give her....always factor in travel time to and fro...try to 'be' in each place instead of 'doing' each place. I would definitely slow your itinerary down and enjoy your time in beautiful Italy. Have a wonderful trip!

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

One more hint....Get a GPS!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

9. Re: Itinerary Help- Pretty Please? :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:21