We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Toronto
Level Contributor
943 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Truly, how frazzling is it to drive this route in, say, September?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Check route planner www.viamichelin.com

Car rental www.auto-europe.com www.auto-europe.co.uk

Non EU citizens require an International Driving Permit for Italy

Read Top Questions to the right "Driving in Tuscany" to assist you driving in Italy

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.romeinfo.com

www.discovertuscany.com

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

It is not bad at all once you are out of Rome.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,863 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Assuming you don't land early on a weekday morning so hit the Rome ring-road (GRA) during the rush hour, it's easy. (You don't say where you're arriving from but you might not want to do the drive immediately after getting off a long-haul flight as it's a fairly long drive of approaching 3 hours minimum.)

You have a choice of routes, the most logical (I guess) is the GRA followed by the A1 autostrada (toll road) to the Val di Chiana exit where you take a left along a good dual carriageway (no toll) to Siena. This is an easy drive with not that much heavy traffic and a beautiful one too. But consider other routes as well, especially if you're tired. The Via Cassia (skirting Viterbo, then through Bolsena, San Quirico, Buonconvento) is a long, slow road that personally I'm not that fond of but I have many friends in the village who drive up from Rome that way regularly on weekends. A route I've taken a few times in the last year or so and really love doing is the Civitavecchia road out of Rome heading north until it forks just south of Grosseto taking you direct to Siena. Very low toll on this road (around Euros 5) and it's far more relaxed than the GRA / A1. From the northbound carriageway you don't see too much of the sea but it's fairly pleasant countryside along the coast followed by a simply sensational stretch of road once passed Grosseto through the Maremma and south west Tuscany. The last stretch in particular into Siena is awesome.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

There are two major airports in Rome, but both of them are near the GRA ring road, and once you get on that, you should be fine. Plan the route in advance, using www.michelin.com or maps.google.com . (Make sure you spell Siena correctly, with one "n".) Both route planners tell you what the exit signs say, although one of the two, I don't remember which one, was not accurate about exit signs when we were driving through Umbria in the vicinity of Lake Trasimeno.

Siena itself has a large limited traffic zone inside the walls, so if you're going to the center of town, make sure you know exactly how to get to a parking spot outside this ZTL zone without running the risk of accidentally crossing into it. If you're going to a hotel, inform them of your arrival by car, and ask them for a safe route. They can get you a one-time permission to approach the hotel to unload and return to a parking area. You MUST follow EXACTLY that route. Your exemption doesn't allow for wrong turns.

If you're planning to stay in Siena, I question whether you should hire a car, which is only useful for driving in the countryside. There is good train service between Rome and Siena.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Toronto
Level Contributor
943 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Oh...Siena...thanks. Not sure exactly where we would be staying as of yet. We want a base from which to visit the Tuscan towns and I am only saying Siena as our daughter did stay just outside. I understand Val d'Orcia is the neighbourhood so to speak we want to be in..any recommendations? Oh, we would be coming from Toronto.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Siena, or the whole area, is a good base for visiting small towns in southern Tuscany. A car is best for exploring the rural area, and I advise you to stay outside of towns. We stayed in Montalcino once when we visited the area.

Toronto
Level Contributor
943 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

I will start looking for places in the area of Siena then...thanks

8. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 10:05
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

Dario, if you want to answer questions here, that's very helpful, but you can't include links to your wine tour. That will cause your post to be canceled.

As for the route to Siena, both Google Maps and Viamichelin advise using the A1, which you get to from the GRA. I tried modifying the route, and Google Maps indicates that your route will take half an hour longer. Of course, the time estimate assumes that you adhere to the speed limit, which would be considerably less on your route than on the A1. If you drive at autostrada speeds on the SS1, of course it would be quicker, but I don't advise people who have never driven in Italy to do that.

10. Re: Driving from Rome(airport) to Sienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:41