We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Venice to Rome w/ a stop in Tuscany

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Venice to Rome w/ a stop in Tuscany

All,

I am heading to Italy in late August and fly into Venice and out of Rome. I plan to leave Venice on Wednesday morning and arrive in Rome Saturday evening, leaving Wed, Thurs and Friday to stay somewhere in Tuscany.

My preference is to stay somewhere in the countryside, get in a wine tour and visit somewhere on a day trip. Curious if anyone has any advice on what region to stay in, suggested day trips, ect. I think we'll avoid Florence just because it is not car friendly and we plan to take in Florence on a future trip. Was thinking somewhere near Sienna might be nice.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
886 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Venice to Rome w/ a stop in Tuscany

I would stop in the Val d'Orcia region - really quite beautiful and has many of the wonderful wines for which Italy is famous. We stayed for 8 days halfway between Montepulciano and Pienza. Took day trips each day and never lacked for anything to see or do. Siena is approximately 1 hour north, which we visited on a very leisurely day trip. Montepulciano, Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino, etc are all very close and lovely to visit.

2. Re: Driving from Venice to Rome w/ a stop in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:15