We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Tuscany

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Tuscany

I know and have read the FAQ on this topic but we are looking for a little more specific help. We will be in Tuscany in the middle of September for about 4 nights. We have been to Italy before and have been to all the big sights, this time we are trying to go a little more local. Our perfect base (and probably most peoples) is a Villa outside one of the small/medium towns. A Villa within walking distance to the town, a town with a few restaurants. We will probably rent a car to do some sightseeing. We will probably hire a driver for a day of wine tasting/ touring. Any help on a specific hotel/B&B or an area with these characteristics would be much appreciated. Not super concerned with price, just an amazing experience! Thank you in advance for the help!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

I cannot provide all your requirements, but offer good suggestions.

Castello Di Spaltenna Gaiole in Chianti

Palazzo Guiscardo Pietrasantra

Villa La Vedetta Florence area

Villa Di Piazzano Cortona

Relais La Suvera Pievescola

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

Check out Castello delle Quattro Torra just outside of Siena. We have it booked for April based on amazing reviews on here.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

There are probably about a jillion places that would serve you well. Please search on "Tuscany accommodations" and read some guide books. After you narrow it down to ten candidates, then please come back and let us comment on those. But to ask for the "best" place is like asking for the best book.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

Thank you for your replies, I will look into your suggestions queeni and finally. Spaltenna was on our list. I know that there are a jillion places, that is why I have come to the forum seeking advice of those who have maybe seen some places, and with my specific criteria of outside a town, but within walking distance of a town where we could go to a few restaurants, and look around. It is very difficult to figure out if the villas and hotels are near the town or not based on my guidebooks and the reviews here.

Thanks again!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

iheart...

Just for reference, almost all of the Italian web sites for accommodations have a tab for "dove siamo" where we are, that will show you exactly where they are. But you are right that the Trip Advisor maps function in the reviews is no help at all, and often inaccurate.

And, if it is worth the time, use the address in Google or viaMichelin and that will show you where they are.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 23:23
new york, ny
Level Contributor
15 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

Just back from Castellobanfi Banfi in Montalcino. Amazing.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

Castello Di Spaltenna is located in a medieval hamlet in the Tuscan countryside. We would take our wine and sit overlooking the endless vineyards. What a beautiful sight.!

There is a restaurant on property, but we did drive into Gaiole for dinner. A very short drive, but as I remember, too far to walk. A picnic in the countryside would be amazing.

While in the area, visit Radda, another small, quaint medieval town. From there, stop for tastings and lunch at Volpaia.

www.volpaia.info There is very little traffic within the village of Volpaia and with panoramic views over the surrounding vineyards and forests, together with its location in central ...

8. Re: Best place to stay in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:41