We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Riversdale, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Hi there,

We LOVE wine and would love to taste and learn as many wines as possible when in Tuscany.

Please could you give us suggestions of what to drink where?

We would like to drink good value for money wine - don't have the budget to pay buckets for of Euros for wine.

Then, we would also like to visit a few wine farms - not for wine tours, just to taste. Once again, don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Lizelle,

I forget, are you going to be in Greve? If so, there is a great place to visit in the town center - Le Cantine. While it does not have the atmosphere of being on farm or at a winery, it is still fun. Here you can taste hundreds of wines and also olive oils. It is in the cellar of a building, very near the stream. You purchase a wine card for say 10 or 20 euros (they have various denominations), they give you a glass and then you go around the room to the "Wine Isles" and select which wine you want, (different wines have different costs), insert your wine card, put your glass under the spigot and push the button. Voila! Wine. They have many types to try from Brunellos to Chiantis and more. www.lecantine.it/cantineUtente/index.php

Riversdale, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Hi Cat7115,

Thanks - that is great advice! We are def going to Greve and now def going to Le Cantine.

Any varieties/specific wines from specific regions you would suggest we try at Le Cantine?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Oh my goodness, there are so many! But of course, try Brunellos, Chiantis and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. For whites, Orvieto DOC classico, Vernaccia di San Gimignano or Trebbiano. See which you like best!

After, take lunch in the Piazza across the street and visit the famous butcher shop - Antica Macelleria Falorni

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Pardon me if I sound simple, but I have some opinions. I drink a great deal of Italian wines, and most of that is Tuscan. If you are going to be there, away from the most heavily tourists spots, such as Greve, then there is a very reasonable presumption that all, nearly all, of the wine you see/taste/buy will be good wine at reasonable prices. Now price point is of course a matter of personal judgment, but you can certainly buy wonderful Chianti, Montepulciano, Montelcino, Orvieto wine for far less than you are use to paying in USA. One approach that I like is to drink several wines of the same type, such as several Chianti Classico, or several Vino Nobile to get a feel for what the varieties have to offer. Many times a vintner will make three to six Chianti Classico or three to six Vino nobile. It is interesting to see what distinctions you observe. And do not be afraid to try something that is simply marketed as "Super Tuscan", some of those are wonderful wines -always Sangiovese plus something.

It is worthwhile to decide on one or two wine makers that you will definitely test, before you go, and then buy a few bottles of their product before you go, so that you begin to understand the gradations.

Anyhow, this should be an adventure, not an exam. I have been knocked over by the variety/quality/prices that I see in Tuscany; it is a lot of fun to study wine there.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 20:34
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

There's something a little bit similar in concept to Greve's Le Cantine in Montalcino now as the Enoteca di Piazza has opened a wine room on Via Matteotti (just down from Osticcio on the same side). Here you can taste around 100 different wines varying in price (for a generous tasting shot) from 1 to 9 Euros. The range was good and obviously not just Montalcino wines but from other production areas throughout the region. That said, we still find the best value wines come from the smaller producers and if you know where to go, there are some great value deals around. We did a blind tasting at home last week with some visiting friends serving an unmarked Chianti Classico Riserva from a tiny estate at lunch and a bottle of the same wine from a major well known producer at dinner. Everyone preferred the wine at lunch yet we'd only paid Euros 5 for that as opposed to Euros 18 for the bottle with dinner!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

For something local as a change from Chianti, there's Morellino di Scansano - described rather enthusiastically here...

atouchoftuscany.com/food-and-wine/…

Recently awarded DOCG status, it's from near Grosseto. Don't remember having been offered the aged 'Riserva' - but we're happy with the ordinary version... quite light, very berryish and decidedly good value!

Not a truly great wine, but might come as a nice alternative after reeling at the prices asked for more famous names?

Peter

PS: if you've a few dollars to spare, a used copy of this would be worth getting - but do cross-check stuff as it's a few years old now....

amazon.com/Italian-Wine-Guide-Definitive-Sou…

We've the previous edition and still refer to it!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

One more tip - when dining out, always ask for the house wine. We never had a bad bottle and it was very reasonably priced.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

Couldn't agree more, Julie.

9. Re: Good & affordable Tuscan wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:18