We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Val d'Orcia or Chianti region

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Val d'Orcia or Chianti region

I know it's a hard choice, but for a first time visitor, what is recommended?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Val d'Orcia or Chianti region

On the principle that there are vineyard-covered hills in the US but no winding cypress alleys, I'd opt for the Val d'Orcia.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Val d'Orcia or Chianti region

It's an impossible choice but for a first time visitor I would especially urge you to try and squeeze in both. If you stay in the Val d'Orcia, you can easily get up to the southern Chianti for a day trip and it makes a good day out as it's so different, yet still so beautiful. Towns such as Castelnuovo are only an hour or so from Pienza cross country, and it's worth doing for the drive alone. Consider too another gem that I take my visitors too and that's San Gusme (15 mins beyond Castelnuovo) where there are some good places for lunch. I personally believe this is the prettiest part of the Chianti as the countryside is gentler, more open, less wooded. Alternatively, spend a morning in Siena (easily done from the Val d'Orcia) heading to Castellina / Radda / Volpaia in the afternoon or for a late lunch. This is another day trip I do often with visitors (or alone) and it works well.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Val d'Orcia or Chianti region

I think both above are good advice. We have stayed in both areas and love them, although we are somewhat partial to central and southern Chianti. But to answer your question, I will suggest Val d'Orcia - for the reason that the scenery is unlike anything else we have ever seen - and if you can spare a day, it is easy to drive into Chianti.

4. Re: Val d'Orcia or Chianti region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:40